Friday 21 September 2012

WIP: The Tickled Pink One

Well, as I don't do this very much these days, I thought I'd do a little photostory of fabricificating the top of The Tickled Pink One.

First thing first, I've sanded the top sooper flat smooth and have put some gloopy glue on.

Smells divine.

This is a type of PVA but full fat, not the lightweight stuff you peel off your fingers at school. This is a man's glue.

(Obviously I do have hours of fun peeling my fingerprints off afterwards).




Thirdly, I've roughly chopped out a lump of the fabric Andrew supplied and lay it on top. This I smooth with one of the credit cards they won't let me use anymore, bless them.

As the background is white, I'm hoping for a striped PJs effect, with the lovely ash grain showing thru.

Not sure if it will come off yet, mind.

 
Fourthly, I plaster on some grain filler and again use a card to get it in there proper deep like.

Can you see what it is yet?

I've sanded that back and started in with some more gubbins that turns it all a bit plasticky and hard of hearing.

I said hardwearing.

You deaf or something?

Anyway, there are a few coats of this.

Sixthly, as I was getting bored I cut out a scratchplate to sneakily hide the unused cavity. I wanted this to look a little wobbly and it has come off... Man I can do wobbly.

Seventhly, using a very sharp knife (I couldn't find an adult to do this for me) I trimmed around the edges and cut out the bridge pickup cavity. As I'm not using the neck cavity thing, I'll leave that under cover as it were.

Finally, now we're sooper cool and groovy, it will get a few coats of lacquer. Firstly acrylic, and then a final dollop dab of nitro just to help it age nicely.

And there we are.

From here it is all about putting it together.

Mr Mojo's magic pickup and wiring loom should be here next week sometime and I think the only thing I'm missing right now are tuners which should arrive tomorrow.

Oh and strap pins. I always forget the strap pins.

With a bit of luck we should have it in business in a week or so.

lovely

La la laaa








No comments: