Saturday 1 September 2012

King Slippy

Well, I think I said the other day that I'd got a Chap-from-the-Allman Bros Slide for Dimwits DVD and one of those funny medicine bottle slides to see if I can improve at it a wee bit, and whilst watching the DVD has been a no hoper until schools in again, I have been having a bit of a dabble.

And mucho fun it be too, though I'm thinking I might need a dedicated slide guitar with a really high action. Something trashy and old would be perfect. I may be the man for the job as I qualify on both counts.

But playing and it might sounds daft, but in the past I've basically just played along with old blues stuff in a hit and mainly cat-strangling-miss kinda way, but this time for no apparent reason, I thought I'd have a go at playing some scales, and amazingly it is really quite easy. I've discovered - and you may want to write this down with a big block-lettered heading of 'Genuine Insight', that if I use this newfoundland, you can actually play tunes too.

Bloody amazing it is. I wish I hadn't bought the DVD now, but I might as well give it a go sometime. I can't imagine that it will be able to teach me anything, but you never know.

Next year I am thinking that I might find a use for those twiddly bits at the top end of the guitar that hold the strings in place.

La la laaaa

No comments: