Thursday 7 June 2012

Thinnering Out Vaporifically

Well, as I'm introducing guitars I haven't made yet and generally talking vapour-ware in-excelsis, I thought I'd carry on and move into the love-to-if-I-prove-vaguely-capable-of-such-feats department.

A long long time ago, when I was younger, had hair, some of it long, and played in a band, I once bought a MIJ copy of a Tele Thinline by Antoria, crazy cheap.

Now it was a lovely guitar, if memory is right solid maple and weighing a hundred weight, but unfortunately I wanted it as a backup to my Jazzmaster and it was nothing like. (I'd know that now, back then, less so, clearly.)

So it went away, got chopped in against another and there we are.

It is still very much one of those that got away that I regret. No choice at the time, but even so, I've always fancied a Tele Thinline ever since. Though maybe one a bit more svelte.

Anyway, one of the things young Simon enriched me with, was a nice lump of ash cut into the outline of a Tele, and a piece of maple (???) that I could carefully nail to the top.

Or maybe glue, it's a long time since I've seen the real thing.

He had also given me the routing template for a Tele Thinline, and I'm guessing if I chop chunks out of the ash in the right places then bang on the maple and strategically cut a few holes in that, I might get somewhere close to a guitar kinda thingy.

It might even, in a parallel world sort of way, be nice.

Well, you never know. The ash looks lovely if nowt else.
Though I would probably cover that up, to be fair.

And yet, if by some stretch of imagination's knicker-elastic I got that far, I would just have to put a single P90 at the bridge or perhaps a TV Jones and call it The Away Got That One.

Well, you never know...

La la laaa


1 comment:

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

OK, SImon tells me the bit-to-stick-on-the-top is ash too. I am such a pro... 8^)