Sunday 24 June 2012

Of Lemon Drops and Swiss Army Knives

Well, as I probably mentioned I have a spare place in my guitar-collection-of-three since I had the cull a few weeks back and really quite fancied something with 'buckers to join my Jazzmaster and Gordo (even if it still remains sans pickups).

Long term I will buy a nice Gibson Les Paul Traditional, keep it for a week and then sell it on, of that    sure, but to tide me over I was thinking a cheap Tokai - though I want mahogany and maple, and  they aren't these days, or maybe a Chinese Burny - though they seem to have the same slant on woods. So I wasn't sure really.

I used to have a Vintage V100 which was lovely good, and they are crazy cheap, so I'd pretty much decided to get one of those and generally pimp it up a bit. And then somehow I seem to have snaffled one of their 'Icon' range, which I think are meant to be a little bit better or aged anyway and it will save me having to attack it with a belt sander. Assuming I had one.

So Monday will hopefully see a courier turning up with a nice Vintage Lemon Drop, which I've fancied for a while as the couple I've tried were pretty cool, and though I'm not really a Fanboi of anybody these days, I love the Peter Green in-betweeny sound and it'll save me having to flip magnets or stand on my head whilst playing or something. Plus I like the colour, which is more usually my top criterion.

Anyway, no doubt more on that when it arrives, assuming it arrives in one piece, which would make a chance Mc Pleasant on recent form.

Of more interest, I've been on a bit of a knob-fest (steady) and treated myself to a couple made out of twelve-bore shotgun cartridges, and a few more that have been made out of Craps Dice from some hotel in Las Vegas I'll never see. I'm not really sure what I'll use them for, though the dice might be good on The JoBo One and the Remington one could go well with The B Movie One.

In fact there, I've made a decision to at least try them, Jooky inaction, here right before your very eyesomes.

It feels odd in England buying gun related bobbins, as it is never part of real life - guns I mean - outside of the inner cities and country piles, and well, Manchester I suppose.

And having guns at home seems such an alien thing to do, and I guess when you look at Charlton Heston it just gives that nutter vibe to gun ownership, and you assume that people with guns in America are crazy-weird and warmongerish bigtime.

But then you look at the ultimate peace-filled land of Switzer where every adult male legally has to own an automatic weapon and know how to use it, and that is the world's beacon for peace, so I don't know.

Who can really tell?

I always thought it odd that you could get Swiss Army Knives when they don't have an army. I guess though that maybe they used to and are selling off all of the old stock, but then you don't see too many ex Swiss Army anything-else's and in truth if they only had knives and no guns it was probably best that they never got into any wars as they wouldn't have done too well really.

Hmm, think I'll stick to thinking about guitars. Guns make my head hurt

La la laa

No comments: