Saturday 9 June 2012

Record Breaking

Well, things aren't always as straight forward as I hope. Sometimes ideas work beautifully, other times they take a lot of work and then more others still are blinkin' dangerous.

Case of point is that yesterday I had this "great idea" to cut the pickguard for The JoBo One out of an old vinyl LP. I know it isn't original, you'll find plenty of guitars on-line with them, I'm not making any great claims for trail blazing. In fact I even did it on my second ever Jooky though I cut that in a melting kinda manner with a soldering iron. So nothing new to be proud of, I just thought it would look good against the pink paisley.

So I dug out some vinyl - for younger readers, these aren't the small plastic CD things that your Granny used to keep her music downloaded on, these are the big black things that you thought were invented by cool DeeJays just before Xmas.

So anyway, I got an unwanted copy of something or other - Age of Consent by Jean Paul Sartre or maybe Bronski Beat, I think it was for the fact fans out there - Fired up the Quattro Gene and the first one shot past me ear and exploded on the garage wall.

Hmmm, maybe a slower speed setting would be wise.

Try 2, I went for Transvision Vamp's Debut Album - I always really liked them, in an ironic way, I'm sure - and figured that maybe a lower speed setting might be a good idea, although it would make Tracey Tracey sound like she was on Mogodon. Or was Tracey Tracey in the Primitives, and it was Wendy James vamping it up? I can't remember now.

So off I went and it simply shattered. "Ahh", I thought, "Maybe I'm not on the right track."

(ker-ching)

So I left it for the day while I retained a head on my shoulders. I might have to give it another go and maybe not use a Flymo to cut it next time, but I'll have to trawl the charidee shops for some more LPs first. Possibly try using a hacksaw to cut the shape out next time though, we'll see. I can't just give up on the idea, and in fact that is half of my problem. Now I've thought of it, it has to be done, let's face it. I'm like a dog with a string of sausages chasing magpies in the garden taking care not to tred in cat shite.

Other than such distractions, The JoBo One is having a weekend bathing in lacquer as I'm pretty pleased with how the paisley looks. It's actually a bit brighter in the reality, which is all good and despite sounding like yet another broken record, I really can't wait to play this one.

In other news and as school holibobs somehow stretch into next week, I'm aiming on starting a bit of woodwork on Wednesday, but ideally I'd have The JoBo One ready for the pickups and wire by then, and then drop them in when they arrive from the land of Mojo..

All of which sounds quite 'Handy' but  you know better than that.

Apart from dreaming up meta-guitars this week, I've been resurrecting another dormantly old idea and am going to do a few Jooky T Shirts.

Obviously they will all be one-offs and I think they will be tied to individual guitars - maybe when you get a guitar you get a T Shirt to match, or maybe I should do something else with  them.

I don't know.

Anyway, I've sorted out some T Shirts so we'll have to see how it goes when they arrive and my brain kicks-in. So possibly November.. Truth is Andy Warhol is dead and Baby I don't care.

La la laaa

2 comments:

fat old man said...

t-shirts - what a great idea - I hope you will backdate them for earlier models;)

I wonder what happened to Wendy James - I never liked Transvision Vamp (always thought they were too lightweight - almost punk for 12 year olds) but Wendy James on the other hand...

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Ah, I only bought 5 T Shirts - might take me a while to go backwards :)

Yes, Wendy James, politics-a-go-go with go-go about covering it... Happy Daze