Tuesday 19 June 2012

Staring Me In The Face

Well, I don't claim any great level of expertise in anything at all really, but sometimes I have this kind of Zen state where I can immediately look at a guitar and know - feel if you like - that something maybe isn't quite right.

Why do I mention it? Well, I thought I'd put a couple of strings onto The Fabulous One and see whether the bridge is a little too high - it is niggling me somewhat - and I don't know why, but I just got this feeling.

Maybe it was the low E string being somewhere in the middle of things, or maybe it was the high E floating in mid-air off the side of the neck, I probably won't ever really know for sure, but instinct kicked in and after a bit of investigative work, I found that I was right.

I'd put the tailpiece in the wrong place.

Oh, how I laughed.

I even know how I managed it - being organised (ahem) I had drilled a hole for the strap pin a way away from the ones for the trapeze, and then obviously I used that for the tailpiece instead.

So no great harm done.

As for the bridge, well the action was OK and I could maybe adjust the neck angle to improve it further, but I've ordered a couple of different - shallower - bridge mounts instead as I think it would be at it's limits, as it were.

As for today, well the new neck and tuners arrived for The B Movie One, so I'll probably drill and fit that later if I haven't run out of screws and neckplates (which is possible) and I really should get my finger out and install the Mojo Toaster in The Fabulous One, oh and maybe move the tailpiece a tad to the right. Might be a handy thing to do.

La la laaaa

No comments: