Thursday 12 July 2012

Some Races Are Never Ronin

Well, Allparts managed to finally get me my tinny bridge for The Ronin One, and it has made quite a difference, I have to say.

It is odd, but some guitars seem to go together really quickly, but others, well, they are hard work. The Ronin One is definitely in the hard work category and there have been times when I wondered whether it was worth it, but I'm nowt if not bloody-minded..

Anyway, despite having thought I'd finished this months ago, it continued to niggle. The old harmonica bridge looked nice but didn't really 'do it' for me - I've developed a love for intonation for some reason - and all-in-all, well, I never really felt I'd done it justice.

Giving it a bit of time I think I've got my head around the problems and so I'm starting from scratch with it again, to put it to bed, see it out and generally make sure I am over the moon about it.

But the bridge - it works great and that makes me feel good.

Other niggles to be addressed are:

1. The Nut. It is Ok, but I want to put a better one on - it is that or raise it slightly which I could do, but I think a new one would make more sense as it is a tad buzzy on the open E string at times.

2. The Blend Pot. This works, but is a bit crappy and I think I would rather have a nice old three-way switch, so that I have three sounds, rather than spend all day looking for one that I like.

3. Tuners: I left the originals on, and they are fine, but not great so I'll replace them too.

As for the ye Olde 1978 Gibson pickups, they sound good but one of the screw holes is broken on the single coil, so I need to do something about that.

None of which is anything major, but they niggle. and nobody likes a niggle, let's face it.

So despite the new bridge and the fact that it has one of the nicest necks I've ever played, it is back in the case until I order some replacement parts.

Other than that, I should be doing something useful, but it is School Olympics week and my attendance is mandatory.

Tomorrow though will be amazing, telling yer.

La la laaa

No comments: