Sunday 15 July 2012

Like a Fallen Angel

Well, not a lot happening over the weekend, and with the coming week heralding the summer holibobs it is time to focus again. In fact tomorrow is out too, so I'm into the last four days.

Top of the list is The Raymond One then. All the parts are on their merry way, so it will hopefully be together before the dreaded day. If I get that done this week I'll be pretty chuffed if not chuffing pretty.

Other than that, I want to put the walnut burr veneer on The Betty Blue One, which should be do-able, but there probably won't be too much else.

In other news, I've been all-of-a-twitter about the new Squier Offsets that are being released this month. Proper Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs, for Squier money, sounds pretty good to me.

But then I got thinking about all the guitars that come and go around here and I came to realise that I'm never really happy with them unless I put them together myself. And I have to say buying a new guitar, well, it isn't something I ever do.

So basically, I figured I'd be happier making myself another offset guitar, and so with a bit of scurrying I found a nice Jazzmaster body made of solid ash with a walnut veneer and dredging my memory's memory, remembered that I knew somebody who was flogging a luthier made left-handed Jazzmaster neck. So I snapped that up too. I like a downside-up headstock, it makes me feel like Jimi, man.

From there I'll need to sort out a proper trem and bridge - I just got a mustang one, so that should be handy and after my experience with my MIJ Jazzmaster, it will definitely be a set of Marcy Mojo's pickups, though whether I go for a pair of his Jazzmaster ones or have one of those and one of his Jazzmaster-sized Wide Rangers for a bit of variety, I'm not sure.

We'll have to see.

As for the finish, I'll see what the body looks like when it gets here, but I've always liked the Elvis Costello JM so I might end-up staining it. I also like the Thurston Moore one, thinking about it. Hmmm.

So staining, well, either that or covering it with something toxic. Who can truly ever guess?

But that is all a bit of a long-termer really. The body needs some woodwork before I can start on anything else, so that alone will probably put it into next year. But I have to say, I'm already looking forward to getting to grips with The Fallen One.

And maybe I should get a Squier, just to keep me going, like, in-between....

La la laaa

No comments: