Thursday 19 July 2012

Raspberries and Fallen Walnuts

Raspberry Ripple - Maybe The Name Was Pushing It?
Well, a while back, if you remember, I had a bit of a disaster with The Raspberry Ripple One, as despite hardcases and everything else, the neck got broken on the way to it's new home.

Anyway, insurance shenanigans have run their course and so it has come back to me...once again all tattered and torn

Now, the sensible thing would probably be to strip the parts and chuck it away, but that isn't really my thing, so instead I'm going to glue the neck and then see if I can think of something cool to do with it.

Play it even, maybe..who knows.

The sad thing was despite being an Epiphone, once it had been totally upgraded, it was one of the nicest SGs I've ever played. The Seymour Duncan Phat Cat sounded brilliant in it (as opposed to shonky when it was in my Gordo) and the Gibson 57 Classic is just sweet, but there we are.

Anyway, no time like the present so as you can't see (as I forgot to take any fotos on the way) I've cleaned up the break a bit and glued and clamped for the second time this week.

Fallen Yet Still Only Plonked Together
I must be getting cocky about this as I didn't go thru the usual avoidance and angst stages. Not that I particularly want to become expert in fixing necks, it isn't a good sign of anything useful,  after all.

So, once the glue has dried, I'll sand it back and I might as well refinish the neck too. Got to show willing and all, dontcha know.

Other than that, I've been collecting the bits for The Fallen One, so I thought I'd do a quick plonk together. I've gone for one of Mr Mojo's Jazzmaster pickup sets and a wiring loom too, so I know it will sound fantastic.Can't remember if I said, but the body is ash with a nice walnut veneer, and the usual maple/rosewood Jazzmaster neck gets a Jooky twirl as it is reverse of headstock. Or maybe a Lefty downside-up. I can't remember.

Despite how it looks, the body actually needs a fair bit of work, so it won't be a quick one to do, but it already has that Elvis Costello vibe, which is cool. I'll probably stain it a bit darker and maybe even give it a thin coat of nitro - but there be woodwork to do before I worry about that, so gord knows what state it will be in after that.

But, it is the last day of freedom and unfortunately, I won't finish anything else today.

The B Movie One is off to a new home (couriers permitting) and I will be sad to see that go as it really is quite beautiful and the P90s are uber sexual in excelsis. However it will be making it's gigging debut on Saturday - more details on that to follow.

La la laaaa





No comments: