Monday 16 July 2012

Oops, I Did It Again

Old Honey - Masterwork from JXG Guitars
Well, my big plans for the week have kinda fallen into ashes, as I forgot that today was destined to be AWOL day, and I've just realised that the school holibobs start on Thursday evening rather than Friday. So I've lost two days of my final five already without really trying.

But there we are. I'm still hopeful that I'll get The Raymond One fettled and hopefully The Betty Blue One veneered before the week is out. Well, you never know.

In other news, I've got a nice lefty Jazzmaster neck on it's way, which should be fun for The Fallen One, and I seem to have acquired another, err, Les Paul Studio.

* cough *

I know, I know.

This one is a bit different though, as it is fairly new - 2010 - and is one of the 50s Studio Tributes they did for a while. So it has a lovely big neck, rosewood board, isn't too heavy as they have removed all the pulp and pips (I'm convincing myself that is a good thing) and boasts twin P90s. If this wasn't enough, I'm getting it from the luthier John Gill of JXG Guitars fame, and it is one he has done an amazing job on, basically, upgrading everything in and out of sight, adding a Bigsby and giving it a relic job based on Neil Young's Old Blacky. As this is a Honeyburst finish though, it has been rechristened, Old Honey, which I like so that can stay.

It should be here on Wednesday anyway, and I'll do a proper introduction/specification list then, along with a lot of genuflection and general gibbering.

John's spec is crazy tyop notch:

Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute in honeyburst. Original 2010 Limited Edition
Bare Knuckle Blue Note P90's (alnico IV magnets in bridge)
Bibsby B7 fitted (stop tail holes filled with mahogany/maple plugs)
Converted to ABR-1 (nashville holes plugged with maple), KTS bridge with titanium saddles and long stainless steed studs, double wheeled.
Full rewire to 50's spec with braided wire, CTS pots, Russian PIO caps, 0.022 bridge and 0.015 neck.
All plastics replaced apart from jack plate and truss rod cover. Bareknuckle P90 covers and Fatboy switch tip.
Brown rear control plates. Tuner buttons are aged Kluson replacements.
Allparts Speed knobs, one has broken so was replaced, it's a slightly different colour just to be upfront- all part of the relic fun!
Fret dress and unbleached bone nut fitted.
Finish has been buffed and medium relic'd except for heavy pickwear. The neck is unrelic'd.
Hiscox Liteflite Pro case, custom made to fit the bigsby.
Set up for 11's
 

If you haven't come across JXG before, there are some examples of his work on his web site Here, and I'll see if I can find some fotos of a Les Paul Jr he did a while back which would make Gibson's Custom Shop hang their heads in shamefilled shamedness.

So that is rather exciting.

As I am now offish poorhouse brassic, any offers for The JoBo, Old E and B Movie Ones would be very timely, and my old battered Gordo might have to go too. Such is the life of a poor little chap of slender means but big ideas..

La la laaa

No comments: