Friday 19 August 2011

WIP:The Old Burny and Grecian 201 Ones

The Old Burny One
24 karat Gold Topped...
Shiny
Well, as I said, yesterday was quite a productive day, in between jumping around to the sounds of Sussex as I explored the Fat Old Man's site all over again.

I was obviously most pleased to get The Tripadelic One sorted out, though felt a wee bit dumb when I got to the bottom of the problem - but such is life. I'm just glad it worked out and sounds sooo very nice...

The Old Burny One though, is a real treat already. I've been plotting this guitar for so long I've lost track, but the 24 karat gold is now on, and I've used an ageing varnish to give it a bit more depth.

The colour looks richer than a 'normal' gold top - which are bronze paint, oddly - and I wanted it to look a different shade than The Golden Shower One's.

I'm going to give it a few coats of nitro lacquer now, but that will be next week - the ageing varnish needs a while to cure apparently.




Unfortunate attempt at a Gibson Logo
Better get rid of that quicksmart
I've got a bit of a dilemma on the headstock front, as it has those nice split Gibson things, which I'm tempted to keep. In fact it has a battered fake Gibson logo on there which I need to remove.

Decisions, but nice ones for once. I have just realised that the pickup surrounds and other bits of plastic I'd been keeping for this got used elsewhere in the end, so I'm not quite as ready to go as I thought, but there we are, they aren't exactly difficult to find.

The nice thing of course is that it should go together quite quickly as I have the Shugz '50s wiring harness, and the pickups ready to go. I must say, I've always fancied a Burny, and an '80s one with Jooky appointments is just about perfect.

Can I keep two Jookies for myself?

Nah, one was breaking my 'rules' so either this or The Golden Shower One will have to go, and as is my way, I'll keep the one I like least. Seems fairer and more honest that way.



The Grecian 201 One
Bronze and Copper, like a statue
minus the 'gulls
As for The Grecian 201 One, I'm waiting for the lefty neck, tuners and bridge for that, but the body is finished and so too is the scratchplate which looks amazing.

I've gone for a 'thin skin' approach to the lacquering on both, as I really want the finishes to wear easily.

It is that kinda look.

The aged bronze looks brilliant, really dark and moody and the verdigris is quite stunning in 3D.




Cracking behind, Grommit
 The front is different to the back, but then it should be. It is meant to be randomly chaotic with a sprinkling of pollution thrown on for good measure.

I resisted the urge to leave it somewhere for the 'gulls and pigeons to dive bomb.

You can go too far in the search for authenticness sometimes.

A poodle and a tip.





No comments: