Wednesday 17 August 2011

Getting Going: The Grecian 201 One

Well, I got nowhere on The Old Burny One, as is traditional, but I did at least get a wriggle on as far as The Grecian 201 One goes. Or so it seems.

I'm just working on the back for now, but I started by painting it with an 'Active Bronze' paint, which basically means it has real bronze in a suspension that will react and tarnish - which is of course the point.


I gave this three coats and I have to say it looks really rich - very impressive.





 
Once that was dry, I started attacking it with a selection of my favourite chemicals, which gave it some serious blue and green patina bobbins.

Again, it looked stunning and once it had properly dried it was lacquered.









All of which went as expected until the second coat of lacquer dried and the surface of the most deeply patinated (?) sections started to split like a lizard shedding it's skin.

Which looks fantastic if I can come up with a way of protecting it like that, but is a complete nightmare if I can't.

All plans of doing the other side tomorrow before a final lacquering - being splashed all over - are out the window...
 

Hmmm... It was going so well. I just can't make my mind up whether it is something brilliant and a chaotic gift,  or instead that it is a total disaster and I've wasted the day....

Anyway, I've gone for bust and given it a coat of an acrylic lacquer.

If that works I'll be dragged-up like a good 'un.

Or at least made-up.







Never simple, this Jookiness.





2 comments:

David Farmer said...

That looks excellent. What a great colour!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Cheers Dave - The bronze is quite deep in reality and the damage is kinda stunning. Now it's stable, I'm really chuffed with it... Just waiting for the front to dry, which is a touch calmer, but will look rather cool methinks.

Just about to email you..