Monday 15 August 2011

Going Gold Again

The Golden Shower One
A Bit of a Legend
Well, I never got around to soldering yesterday, but instead have had a sort out and got rid of about four black bags of guitar-related junk, I've kept 'just-in-case' but that never quite came-in-useful-one-day after all.

It was quite liberating, and at least I know where I stand in terms of screws and knobs and the other things that make life complicated. (ahem)

I need to buy just about all of them.

Soldering tonight is the plan now - halfway thru the school holibobs but I still can't expect them not to run headlong at me screaming and spraying something flammable if I heat up the iron before that, so we wait, and twiddle my thumbs along to Postman Pat and Transformers between being dragged around the local parks and supermarkets.

The Old Burny One
A Bit of a Myth
I have decided to get my finger out on the Old Burny One though. As I said, I've got everything I need to do that one and I'm going to kick meself if I haven't finished it over the summer. Not least because I quite fancy hearing what it sounds like with the Gibson 'Bill Lawrence' "The Originals" pickups, and Ye Olde Worlde authentically cool Shugz '50s wiring. In the end I decided against doing the cracleur finish over the 23 Karat golden top as to be honest it would be nice if it aged proper like. It wasn't/isn't meant to be a relic as such... Saying that, I have been known to change my mind here and there.

With Les Pauls of a sort in mind, I was playing The Golden Shower One this morning. I've been so enraptured with the Gordo that I hadn't had it out of it's case for a while. God it sounds good thru the Blackheart Killer Ant Amp. I tried it when I first got the amp briefly, but I do love those Kent Armstrong P90s. I am resisting the urge to go the P90 route for The Old Burny One, in truth, as basically I'd be replicating The Golden Shower One, and that would never do, now, would it?

The Golden Shower One has a bit of an annoying fret buzz at the moment, which I was assuming was a raised fret - the frets are good but the binding on the neck is chewed, it has to be said, but looking closer this morning, I think I need to do a bit more work on the nut. I think I cut it for 9s but then went with 10s and the string seems a tad high in the slot, as it were. One for later maybe, but a result if that is the cause.

Blah blah blah...bored, bored and a bit more bored.


No comments: