Monday 29 August 2011

The Private Collection

Well, I've been thinking for a while about the guitars I actually have to play myself - as in non-Jooky guitars, if that makes sense. The 'Private Collection' as it were. And to be honest I'm not really sure how I feel about them.

Over the last year or two, I hate to think how many guitars I've got thru, and for one reason or another not many of them have 'stuck'.

As it stands then, I have:

1. The Gordon Smith -

This is battered like an old school desk, needs some loving attention, but just feels perfect to me. I need to rewire it, maybe replace one of the pickups, and re-do my temporary repair of the bridge. I'm going to go for a new wraparound I think. Also the tuners I put on haven't proven to be ideal, so I'll probably change them too sometime.

I really like the way I've done the Sophie's Filthy Boots Fuzz in The Tripadelic One, so I am half tempted to do something similar for the Gordo. Two pickups a volume and a Germanium fuzz, sounds good. Maybe a P90 and a PAF type of 'bucker would be a good pairing. The GS pickup sounds grand so that is a keeper, the other one - which I think is a DiMarzio of some type doesn't really do it for me, so I might replace that. Hmmm...decisions.




2. An old Aria acoustic -

One of the horrible plastic backed- Ovation 'inspired' ones.

This is 'sentimental' and although not played too often, isn't going anywhere.

Despite everything it sounds great, is lovely to play and everybody should have an acoustic in the corner somewhere.

It's an electro, but doesn't worked plugged in. Really should have a proper look at why sometime. Even if it is just so I can be lazy and use an electric tuner.

One day....

3. The Busted Dot -

This is the Epiphone Dot that had a neck break, which I repaired. It still has a Mr Bump plaster over the repair. The fix is fine, solid and dandy, and I really like it, so it isn't going anywhere either.

I could do with tidying up the glue I spilt and maybe replacing the pickups with P90s...but I like playing it in my BB King moments and it is worth so little there is no point in selling it on. I could always put a variotone on it of course...




4. The Golden Shower One - I promised myself that I wouldn't keep any of the Jooky guitars (as basically I'd keep all of them given unlimited money, space, sympathy-from-the-family), but for this I made an exception.

I've decided to relax the goldenest of  rules then, and figured I can keep one Jooky for my very ownsome. Whether this proves to be it or maybe The Old Burny One, or something else entirely, time will tell. I need to sort out the fret buzz. I did re-file the nut and that is now perfect but it seems I have a slightly raised fret, so need to do something about that. Which will be a first and involves me getting some tools, I fear.

But back to the point of this and my 'collection' of non-Jooky guitars, well, that is that.

Not a list of top notch guitars really, is it?

Not a Fender, Gibson, Rickie or PRS among them.

No flamey maple or cocobo to marvel at.

In fact they are probably the cheapeast guitars I've ever owned. The Gordo cost £150, the Dot £60, the acoustic £40 12 years ago and the Golden Shower, well I hate to think in the end, but nothing dramatic if you cost time at 1p per hour.

You may also notice that they all need work done on them - which is probably psychologically of interest, especially as my brother is a mechanic and he only fixes his cars when he comes to sell them, so maybe that's the same kind of thing.

As to what guitars I want, well I'm planning on getting a guitar built for me, a Les Paul Junior type of thing - single P90 - but maybe with a different body shape.

Still plotting that, but I figured it would be nice to have at least one guitar to call my own that actually works.... No doubt more on that when it happens, if it happens.

I am also intending to get another Jazzmaster sometime, but to be honest after that I'm really quite happy.

No really.

The Gordo and Golden Shower/Old Burny will have finally cured my Les Paul needs.

The Jazzmaster and scattering of P90s cover all the twangy single coil bobbins.

And the acoustic is nice if I want to play Everybody Hurts.

It might change when I stop making the Jookies though, as there won't be the steady stream of my dream guitars passing thru for me to play weekly-in-and-out. Though saying that, I might actually play guitar a bit more if I don't spend all my days making them.

Heh ho

No comments: