Sunday 14 August 2011

Experiments in Finishing in Bm

Well, it might well be soldering day today, but some new supplies have meant that there is also some R&D to be done in the lets-find-a-new-finish-or-three-to-play-with department.

Basically, I've stocked up a wee bit, and have some new shiny things to play with in the coming months...

1. Rusted Iron: OK, I've used this a fair bit already, and have been going for quite a dark and moody look - until it catches the light when it can glow. However, I want to try a different approach or three to see if I can get a real bright red rust look, with more of a satin or matte finish than I've used so far.

And they cut them
with their metal knives
2. Copper/Bronze Patinas: I've corroded copper before, which I love, but I wanted to try and get more of a 'patina' - you know that beautiful greeny colour you see on pipes and statues. Similarly, bronze gives you a nice blue patina, which I'd like to experiment with, and of course mixing the two could be rather harmoniously-cool, methinks. And yes, it's true, I won't be happy until I replicate a Victorian urinal.

3. Leaf: I've tried a variety of these already, but there are a few more that have caught my eye, and which might work nice with other things too. I think the pre-variegated ones, as far as Jookies go, have a limited shelf life - I can do a couple of scratchplates and a full body of a guitar, for instance, but the basic golds, silvers, coppers etc. have a lot more potential if I get my thinking bonnet on straight.

4. God forbid paint: OK, anathema in Jookyland, but I have a bit of a yearning to do a bit of acrylic work, just once or twice. It's been a while, after all.

5. Fabric - I've got some nice fabrics to try again, and a few new ways I want to play with...

OK, I'm meddling around again, makes life interesting after all. But soldering, I remember...

No comments: