Saturday 20 August 2011

Nearly, Nearly...The Moulin Rouge One

The Moulin Rouge One
Before The Storm
Well, jumping around like a skittish flea, I know, but I thought I'd do my bit as far as The Moulin Rouge One goes yesterday, as it was looking a bit forlorn and left out, over there in the corner, bless it.

I'd almost forgotten how far I'd got with this one, so it was quite a short list in the end...

Firstly up, I reamed the holes a bit and fitted the Wilkinson EZ Lock tuners. That was a good start.

Secondly, I wired the pickups up, which are making a nicely satisfying thumping noise when I attack them with a wrench. I even got the jack wires the right way around, which is handy.

Thirdly, I noticed that the neck screws were protruding somewhat, and then remembered that I had forgotten to remind myself that I needed to drill the holes a bit deeper like.

So that I did with a hand tool thingie. I keep meaning to buy a handraulic drill as leccy ones scare me, but until I do I use a really really pre-industrial revolutionary solution.

A drill bit with a plastic handle on it.
I've got the blisters to prove it.

Anyway, holes drilled,
screws screwed.
Screws unscrewed.
Holes drilled a bit more deeper-like.
Screws screwed all the way in.
Job jobbed.

After that, I gave it another belt with the wrench and that the pickups were still picking up.

Checked that the wiring was still wired.

Did the wrench thing again after screwing it all back together...all seemed well, so I put some strings on it.

Tuned it up.

Played with the action a wee bit.

Plugged it in.

Hit my famously favourite Em chord, and...

...total silence.

Jiggled the wire, tapped the pickups with the wrench again.

Still silence.

Went and had a cuppa.

Tried it again.

Full laughing-in-your-stupid-fat-face Silence.

Missed smoking.

Got a new guitar lead

Tried it again

Nada

Simmered and stewed,
which isn't the easiest trick to pull-off.

Thought about it all logically.

Switched the amp on.

Hit my famously favourite Em...

and it sounds gorgeous.

ThankChristForThat

Sooooo...I've still got a few bits 'n' bobs to sort out, which I'll do later on - not least that the switch is scratchy which is a tad annoying, so I'll replace that. I can't be bothered to try and work out why or how another new switch has ended-up knackered.

I'm also going to have a go at the nut as with 10s it is sticking on the low E - story of my week that one.

But generally, the PRS P90 sound raw and beautiful - I do like those pickups - and the Bare Knuckle Holy Diver is rather cool indeedy.

Photos once I get everything sorted methinks...plus when I find the camera.
Have a fine weekend...

3 comments:

Dickinstein said...

Love that guitar mate , it looks absolutely stunning

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Cheers Andy - it's rather nice, I'm quite chuffed with it... Though just noticed I cracked the pickup surround - doh...

How's the table looking? :)

Dickinstein said...

Unfortunately rather tablesq . I bought a Jigsaw , and the blade snapped the second time I used it . So at the moment I have been focused on intensive sanding of the body you sent me