Friday 23 March 2012

Swarming Morning

A Whole Lotta Jooky
Well, the courier did finally show yesterday, so somewhere on a motorway or in a freezing warehouse, somebody in a uniform is losing The Dust My Broom One as I type.

And I have to say, it is only since it left - or rather got packed away - that I realised quite how much I'd been playing it. It is definitely one of those walk-past-and-find-you-have-lost-an-hour guitars. It just twanged delish and plugged in was stunning.

I've also had a few enquiries about The BDSM One, which I hadn't quite decided what to do with, but in the end it is on-hold for somebody at the moment. So it may or not be gone. At least I can play that in the meanest-time.

As for new things, I'm waiting on tools for The Ronin One, which will be another week or so.

The body for The Fabulous One is still conspicuously absent, though I have some nice parts stock-piled for when it does show it's face..

My templates should be here towards the start of next week, and I have some wood to practise on, so that is one to look forward to. Bristol has a new hospital opening which could be timely

As I said, I'm aiming to make a Vox Teardrop 'inspired' body, and will put a Strat neck on it. After that, I'm not sure how it will happen, though I'm tempted to go for my usual P90 approach to noisnik-ness.

Finish-wise, I am planning to have a dark woody back and sides with a bluey-bronzed top which I think should be pretty swish and buckled of swash..

I know, I haven't even tried to make a rough attempt at a rougher body out of scrap yet, so could be accused of getting slightly beyond realities gentle boundaries, but it's all about visualisation hun, Arnold Palmer taught me that. And dreaming-the-dream is better than not having a clue what I'm going to do when I get to start, which is my default state.

Thinking of actually playing guitars, I was 'talking' to a nice chap called Edward and we kinda agreed that we always have too many guitars, and then buy another. Which got me thinking and set me off and doing a little stock take yesterday, and despite there seeming to be guitars all over the place, there are in fact only 3 that I "own":

1. My Newly Rustificated Jazzmaster

2. My Battered Gordon Smith

3. My Old Aria acoustic, which I never play as it is a bit rubbish and has a plastic back which gets sweaty. Yeurch.. Which I couldn't find to foto.

And I realised that that isn't in fact very many at all. Two that I actually play, in real terms. I don't think I've ever owned so few guitars. Bizarre.

Then there are the Jookies (which I convincingly convince both myself and the world that they aren't mine of course)

4. The Foxy Roxy One

5. The BDSM One

6. The Golden Shower One (Which has now been at the fret-fixing-chap's lock-up for six months, two weeks and three days, so probably doesn't count anymore as I can barely remember it.)

And of course the unfinished one, which may yet be filed under 'scrap wood' if things don't go to plan. Which they mightn't, it has to be mentioned..

7. The Ronin One

So no Les Pauls, no Telecasters, no Strats (as in SSS ones - I think I can safely claim The BDSM One's JMH pups as something new and unlikely), no Rickies, no Jaguars, no pointy things and not a lot else that is funny-of-shape or smooth of curvaceousness.

Yet over the last year I think there have been about 40 others that have snuck in and paraded out.

It is starting to feel like the Generation Game conveyor as far as guitars go, and I'm on first name terms with all the major courier delivery drivers in this neck-o-the-woods - they are all called Dave, it isn't tricky to remember - so I'm thinking that perhaps I could add one more to the 'my guitars' list, which are 'keepers', hopefully.

To this end, I have been looking at Les Pauls, and spotted a couple I could perhaps snaffle if not justify talent-wise, but I'm thinking I should really aim for what I really really want, my own slice of girl power and not settle for anything less.

I am worthy of it, after all.

I just need to work out what that 'it' thing is, as I don't really know.

I mean, I fancy a Les Paul, but can't imagine ever spending a grand or three on getting a 'proper' one, so then I'm looking at MIJ ones or maybe a Studio if the Gibson word says anything to me about my life (which it doesn't, thankfully, apart from that I am poor in every which and way).

A Burny is the obvious choice, but then I'd always be comparing it to The Old Burny One and Tokais, Edwards, Signatures, Orvilles, Grecos and the rest all have the same problem.

The usual response is of course to try lots until you find 'the one' and go ferrit, but I won't. Or I could of course just look for a basket case with a broken neck and fix it up, but I'd end up calling it a Jooky and waving it off all over again. So what to do.

Don't get me wrong, my Gordo is brilliant - I might swap in a new P90 as the SD Phat Cat is a bit blandly boring and nice compared to a Catswhisker Fat Moggy or an Irongear Alchemist 90, but it does the job, and I love the Gibson '57.

So what am I whinging about? I don't know really. I should just get The Golden Shower One back and keep it, problem solved.

But when has logic ever come into anything?

Heh ho

La la laaa

No comments: