Thursday 8 March 2012

Of Poetic Wiring and Rustified Pickups

Mojo Wiring - Pure Poetry
Well, OK, I got carried away with The BDSM One, but it is seasoning for a while now, so I'll really keep me mucky mitts off of it. The pickup cover is particularly rusty and lovely though, I'll sneak you a foto out whilst I'm not looking.

Elsewhere, and I know I'm going on about this, but I had another foto from Young Marc at Mojo Pickups, showing the wiring loom he had done for me, to go with the pickups he is winding for The Dust My Broom One.

And isn't it lovely? (OK, it might just be me that thinks so as I haven't had to torture meself in the process, but it does look cool, of that I'm sure.)

I do feel a bit lazy though, it has to be said, even if it is clearly for the greater good, and all that. I must admit I'm trying to be all grown-up about it, but I really can't wait to plumb it all together and give The Dust My Broom One a bit of a bashing. I'm sure you will be glad for me to shut up about it too. Go on, admit it...

I'm thinking that I really should change my Golden Rules of Jookidom as at the moment, only being allowed to keep one of them is a bit restrictive. (OK, originally, it was none, but stay with me.)

So I'm thinking that maybe it would be OK if I kept one-of-each, so maybe a Les Paul, a Telecaster, a Stratocaster, a Jaguar, a Firebird, a Jazzmaster, a Ricky etc.

That would be OK, wouldn't it? I mean, not one of each finish/colour/design, that would be excessive, I think.

Of course, it might not go down so well locally, so I might need to compromise and start making double-necks. Or deck the loft out or something. I think we have a loft - should probably check. Do houses still have lofts these days?

Thinking a bit further forward, I quite fancy doing another Semi Acoustic, maybe something Coronado or Rickie-like, I don't know. Something unwieldy and jangly really, I'm not totally sure what, I have to admit.

I'm also feeling that I should at least have a go at winding a pickup. Not that I am hankering to move in such a direction, I've read about it and I think it would do my head in, but as a kinda right-of-passage, I think I should at least have tried to make one, once. Even if it is just so I can better understand the grief my dithering imposes on the winding folk proper

Rustified Jazzmaster Pickup Cover Thing
It's like cutting guitars out of wood and hammering frets into slots and the rest, all part of the meandering pathway that isn't a journey but goes from back there to somewhere up-front, that I feel I should err, take.

So anyway, a bit more research is in order but before the year is out, I'm going to make a P90. So there.

Of course it will be really, really quiet and have knots in the wire, but such is life. Maybe I should learn to tie shoe laces first.

So plans for the rest of the year - wind a pickup, build a semi acoustic of some sort, buy a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster and cover it in rust, get a nice SG, or at least one of the cheapo Epiphone bolt-on SGs they sell in that memory lane place, cut a body out of wood and turn it into a guitar, do some fretting and probably make a few more guitars along the way.

That should keep me busy, which is all good, and I feel better as I have to keep dreaming this Jooky bobbins up again and again, or I stagnate and nobody likes a stagnant brummie. Ozzy apart, of course.

La la laaaa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loving the Jooky capacitor !