Tuesday 6 March 2012

Rout to the Edge of Something or Other

Well, I guess yesterday was the real Day One as far as The BDSM One goes, as I actually managed to do something.

Firstly, I did eventually finally de-couple the router from it's beloved table, and then used it to make a Jazzmaster-pickup-sized hole in the scratchplate.

It isn't what you'd call 'neat' mainly because I hadn't realised that I should tighten the router bit (technically known as 'the very sharp bit') and it came off and careered quite spectacularly, taking a bit of the 'plate with it but thankfully nowt critical in the body parts dept.

And the squared corners are distinctly rounded too, now I come to think about it. Still no stitches required thanks mainly to my ninja-esque reactions (or dumb luck - you decide), just a bit of tiling, and I have learnt something else new.

I've filed the episode between 'don't try and stop jigsaws with your fingers' and 'don't use a carving knife to cut Ben and Jerrys' in my cabinet of life's lessons learnt.

After that I convinced myself that getting back in the saddle was a good idea, and started the paisleyification of the body. I forgot how much fun/torturous this is, but the paisley is on the back, and on it's way to being on the front as well, so that is looking good. Lots of lacquer is the next step there, closely followed by 'what am I doing with the veneer' conversations with myself.

I'm going to use an unusual lacquer for the body as I want it to look oldish and age well over time. Never tried this one before so tis a bit of a gamble, but I got it from a geezer who ages paintings and statues prior to auction, all totally legal I'm sure, and it seemed worth a pop.

As for the remains of the scratchplate, I was thinking it should really be walnut veneered. I was toying with the mouse of an idea that maybe rust would be good, bringing the fabric/veneer/metal corrosion finishes together, but I think it may be a bit much to get heavy on the rust this time.

I am going to go for a bit of a rusty burst around the edges though, as I think it will look rather nice..

Least I think I am.

The only worry is that there will be a whole lot of gubbins that might react with each other. I should be OK if I lacquer in between the different things, but I'm a tad wariness-incarnate, I have to admit.

^^^ Musical Interlude Type of Thing ^^^

In the end though, in a spurt of decisiveness, I put a walnut veneer onto the scratchplate, which I think should be a nice contrast to the paisley. I'd show it you but there are a couple of large bags of salt atop it at the moment, and I'm not one to interrupt a bit of bonding.

I'm still thinking about whether to veneer the body too, but I think I'll wait until the paisley is done-and-dry and see how it looks.

On the rust front, I've gone with that for the front of the headstock, and probably will have a touch around the edges of the body. A subtle leitmotif, or a note for the milkman as we call them down the South West, if you will. Or maybe if I will, or won't. I don't know.

Hmm, decisions.

As for the £100 Challenge aspect, my updated numbers are:

Donor Squier Strat: £44.50
Gigbag sold: -£20
Squier parts sold: -£20

Body & Neck Net Cost: £4.50

Gretsch pickup: £12.50
Old '70s Bridge, Jack Plate, Claw, Springs: £10
Scratchplate: £12


Paisley fabric: £5
Walnut Burr Veneer: £1 (Ten sheets for £5, using 2 sheets " 50p each)
Finishing stuff: £12.95


Jazzmaster pickup: Free
Pots, Wire, Jack, Capacitor, Switch: Free


Knobs: TBA
Tuners: TBA

Grandish Total So Far: £57.95

So that leaves me £42.05 to cover the tuners, knobs and any other finishing gubbins I need.

Should be easy enough if I don't take too many wrong turns.

In more professional news, Mr Mojo sent me another foto of the nigh-on-finished pickups for The Dust My Broom One, bless him.

They are looking good, dontcha think?

Ah, movin' and a groovin'

No, don't know why I said that either.

La la laaaa

No comments: