Thursday 1 March 2012

Getting Foxy...Slightly Returned

Well, it's Day One of the MR £100 thingy, so obviously I spent it doing something else.

No point getting over-excited about it, now is there?

As you may have noticed I snuck in a bit of soldering over-night and finished off The Foxy Roxy One, and man it sounds crazy-good.

I really didn't know what to expect from the pickups/oak body, but the neck pickup has a really bright and biting tone, loads of 'definition' and I just find myself wanting to play Wire songs.

Really should learn some.

Not what I'd expected but a nice surprise. The bridge is clear and defined too, but a lot heavier - more Les Paul like and notes sustain for a minor ice age..

As I said, the 'Velvet Brick' pickups came from an old '80s Les Paul Custom and they really are excellent. Well chuffed with them and it am we.

The other thing is the neck - it's feels long like a Jazzmaster feels long (I probably should have guessed - Firebirds being extensive-of-length and all) and it is lovely to play. I've got the action quite low (for me)  but it still feels right.

And there we are, tis all good.

As for the others, well The Ronin One is still awaiting a pickup and a bridge from Stateside, and I haven't sorted pickups for The Dust My Broom One yet, though I am going to try Mr Mojo himself's Tele pickups out, just haven't quite decided which ones yet. Must email the chap...

As for The BDSM One, well I start on that tomorrow sick kids/meteor showers permitting.

A tootle and a kip

La la laaa

p.s. I had a bit of a lofi strum on The Foxy Roxy One, which probably tells you nothing, but it is Here if you are bored...

No comments: