Friday 2 March 2012

10.15 On A Friday Morning (is BDSM Time)

Horrible Scratchplate Shocker
Well, what can I say apart from that today is going to be the day I use my wee router thing in anger. So, equally it could be the last day I write, unless I learn to type with my tongue or something.

So what is Job Uno, I hear nobody cry apart from the baby next door?

Well, the plan is to make a big enough hole in the Strat body of The BDSM One that I can fit a Jazzmaster pickup in. Actually, I just looked at it and as I'm going for the JM pup in the bridge it isn't a problem due to a minor jacuzzi shaped routing already being there.

To be honest, I could put the pickup in a dingy and it would bob around quite happily in the widely opened spacedom.

Hmmm...

So after a bit of a rethink-de-rapide, today's job is now to cut a big enough hole in the scratchplate that I can fit the said Jazzymaster pickup thru it.

And if I manage that and live and am somehow feeling brave I might do the same at the neck and go for two JM pups. That does require the body to be routed too, so we'll have to see.

On one hand it would be nice to use the Gretsch humbucker - different tones and all that - but on the other it would free-up twenty quid of my dwindling budget to buy a replacement body/parts when I inevitably wreck them.

Tough call.

Actually, I want to use the Gretsch one, so forget I mentioned it.

I did in fact get a rather ugly plastic scratchplate in the end for The BDSM One, mainly because I wanted to have a go at doing this instead of bottling out again. Not that I have before, of course, well, I say that but you know the truth as you are my conscience and realise how this really goes down.

But where was I?

Oh yes.

Assuming that body and scratchplate are suitably chopped, the next step will be down memory cul-de-sac and will involve putting paisley fabric onto a Strat body.

Whoever imagined two years ago I'd still be repeating the same party trick?

Still, it is for a good cause.

After that I will need to decide exactly what I'm going to do with the veneer - apart from obviously using it to cover as many of the gouges I will clearly be making in the scratchplate as I can manage.

In other news I finally got my act together and had another chat with Marc at Mojo Pickups, about a set of his Broadcaster Tele pickups for The Dust My Broom One. I've said before I want to try these as the people who have (that I've found on-line) have been raving about them like foamy cheeked pooches..

And let's face it, I'm rather pleased with his Jazzmaster pickups and all.

He is also going to wire me a wiring loom (?) which has the benefit of it no doubt working first time and not relying on my dodgy mitts to stop shaking long enough to do it.

It is something I've been moving toward with the Shugz and Fake58 looms, and it makes sense. Plus I like the idea of the Jooky guitars having 'Mojo Inside' - must ask Marc for a sticker I can put on the outside ;o)

He is going to send fotos as he builds the pickups again, so I'll no doubt be sharing with the group as and when.

But to the router - I will no doubt be back to present the alternative reality that will be Plan J17.V later today.

La la laaaa.

No comments: