Saturday 23 March 2013

We Are The Gimps


Well, not quite time for a formal introduction, but The Spindrifting One is almost there (minus a string tree or two and some proper Gretsch knobs), but I couldn't resist stringing it up and giving the first ever set of Gimps a run for their moolah.

And cool though they may look, sounds-wise they really are superb.

The bridge pickup has a definite Tele sound to it that is just lovely - nothing like the anemic Strat bridge pickups you usually have to suffer, while the middle and neck pickups are more hot Strat territory, though as clear as a bell even when I dug out a Big Muff (old Soviet one) and a Fuzz Face (modern re-issue). I really love the fact that there is something more in there that is hard to describe, maybe a bit more in the middle than your average Strat.

The best part for me is the in-between tones which are glorious here, especially the bridge/middle one where you get a kinda other-worldly-Tele sound that is a total joy. The tone controls really come into their own too and you can do a real Tele to Strat change with barely a twiddle.

Other than that, I'm loving The Spindrifting One. I wanted to make the body look proper lived in old, and it has plenty of dinks and dents, but it is the worn patches at the top I'm really most pleased about. Playing wise, I like a hardtail Strat and this is solid, so that is cool, and the neck is bang on. I went for a flatter board (9.5" with a C shape) and it feels great bending strings.

A good day's work then, methinks. And the bits I'm waiting for should be here next week so I'll do the formal intro then.

But Gimps, a grand idea, and now a reality. I may have to break a habit of a lifetime and record these babies.

La la laaaa



No comments: