Wednesday 18 April 2012

Ooo-ah, Pretty Thing

Well, today was meant to be all about The Ronin One, but then the posty came and brought me a new toy to play with...and isn't it pretty?

It is a 1992 Les Paul Studio, that started life in the black, but has been refinished in Peter Green/Gary Moore/some-rich-geek-who-owns-the-original-now style with a glorious vintage lemon look. It has a maple top, ebony 'board and mahogany everywhere else that it should be and after a couple of tweaks-to-taste, it plays  beautifully.

It makes a change for me to get a guitar and not instantly have a list of things I want to change, but for once somebody beat me to it.

Tuners have been swapped for a nice and solid set of Grovers, and the pickups are a pair of Gibson Burstbucker Classics, which sound brilliant thru the 'British 60s' model on my little Mustang amp - can't wait to put them thru my AC30 if it ever stops raining.

The wiring has even been upgraded with a loom from my man Shugz which no doubt explains why the knobs and switches are worth having too.

Sad I know, but I'm loving it.

On the flip side, it has had a neck break fixed at some point, fixed well, so not an issue and it is showing it's age here and there, but I'm unlikely to complain about such things - they are just something else I won't have to do meself. (Not that I routinely break guitar necks, you'll understand.)

So for once, a guitar to just play...

Though I have now taken the scratchplate and switch surround off, but there we are.

Hardly motorcycle maintenance, just a little bit of Zen.

But The Ronin One.

Right, tis soldering time.

I have in fact already soldered everything in place.

It just doesn't work and it seems I have confused a couple of wires.

Black and white, they are so close if you are monochromatically challenged.

So I need to swap them around.

Just one more Black Magic Woman and I'll be right on it...

Doobie-do-da-da-doo-doooo.

La la laa



No comments: