Monday 23 April 2012

Introducing: The Ronin One

Well, another week in paradis mislaid,
Vanessa, where art thou now, bab?

As it happens, this week is likely to be pretty much Jooky-light, but I'm pleased to be able to introduce you to The Ronin One, a solidly maple homage to Gibson's classically ignored Marauder.

From the top this has...

1. A Solid maple body that weighs a tonne at least.

2. A maple/rosewood neck, and a right big chunky thing it is too. Feels lovely.

3. A genuine pair of '70s Gibson pickups, one humbucker and t'other a single coil. These are stamped with dates in 1978, which would have been a great year if Ipswich hadn't beaten West Brom in the cup semi-final. (Can't be arsed to check whether that was '79)

4. A chukkie headed blend knob rather than a switch, which gives some great tones and looks groovy.

5. An acid-strewn corroded copper finish that looks rather prettily spesh to mine eye..

And there we are.

I have to say, as far as the pickups go the jury is still out. I'm not sure whether it is the blend pot I've used, which gives 70:30 at either end rather than 100% on or off (if that makes sense), but they are a lot quieter than I was expecting. I'm thinking I'll swap the blend switch though and see how we go. In fact, this is pretty 'done' but I'm going to tinker with it for a while longer as it doesn't feel quite what I expected. The neck though is a revelation and a beautiful piece of old Rosewood. It just feels great to play.

But there we are. Anyway, I'm keeping this one for a while so I'm going to try to find out what it is that is niggling me (a fine excuse if never I've heard one).

In summary, sex on a stick.

La la laaa







No comments: