Sunday 31 July 2011

WIP: The Drip Dry One

Well, this not-doing-anything-in-the-holidays is going well. I've got The Blue Moon One finished, The Moulin Rouge One lacquered and in need of wiring and tuners and so obviously in this time of familyness I started on something else.

Says something about my 'productivity' and 'application' the rest of the time, perhaps, but there we are. Things you do to avoid parental responsibility.

I mentioned a while back  that I'd picked up a beautiful mahogany Strat body, simply clear coated and that I didn't really know what to do with it - as it looks too nice to cover. I had thought abot partially gold leafing it, but it didn't seem right somehow. Then I thought I should just build myself a Strat, plain and simple, but then I can't say Strats are really my thing to be honest, it's like owning a frying pan. Everybody has one, but they're not really something to get excited by. Useful for a veggie bacon sarnie, but the rest of the time hardly a thing of pride and beauty.

Anyway, In the end I decided to pretty much keep the look of the body, but do a scratchplate that is dripping in iron paint and somewhat running onto the body. This I would then rustify, to give an approximation of a melting '70s tortoise shell on wood look.

The drip drying being what I remember most about the 70s; Nylon shirts, and static electricity in your barnet. And I did a painting once of an ice cream on a cinema curtain and liked the idea.

So that is it really, gloopy iron paint dribbling around, the body being bashed like a broken Etch a Sketch to move the lines a bit, and then rustification and the crossing of fingers
.
For the neck, I've got a beauty of a flamed maple/rosewood big headstocked Fender jobby, and the pickups will be a humbucker sized P90 at the bridge and an overpoweringly hot humbucker at the neck.

What that will be I dunno. I have got a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver humbucker coming next week, but I am really tempted to try a Hot Slag, if you know what I mean. It's the kind of sound I fancy.



Saying that I've been meaning to try a Wizard 'Progression'  for a while too, and a couple of newer IronGear pups, The Blues Engine and the Dirty Torque, so maybe I'll do that here.
Who knows?

So The Drip Dry One, coming sometime, somewhere, one day in the future, but most definitely living in the past.

No comments: