Friday 22 July 2011

School Holibobs Doom - Day One

Well, I still haven't got to finish The Blue Moon One. As expected the switch arrived but too late in the day to be utilised. Still, maybe this evening or over the weekend I'll get a chance. I'm starting to feel a bit Blue about it meself.

I've said a couple of times that this may be the last Paisley guitar I do, and that is the plan really. Not that I won't use fabric anymore ever and never, I'm sure I will, but I figure it is quite nice trying other things. I'm liking my rust and corrosion at the moment, and there are so many things to try as far as the gold/variegated leaf goes that it is daft to repeat myself too much. I get bored soooo very easy-like.

The Blue Moon One is gorgeous though, especially with the copper 'plate and lipsticks, and lets face it I'm too indecisive to be certain of anything, but for now this most definitely is it.

As for the summer, well, it is a definite slow down. The Old Burny One is still top of my list, and I think The Moulin Rouge one may get a bit of attention too, if I'm honest. I've also got a hankering for a P90 & humbucker HH Strat, but that should be for the Autumn really. I've also ordered all sorts of bobbins to make a few pedals, and if they ever turn up that would be nice to try again.

Today of course, I get to choose the winner of the wreck, err, lovely piece of guitarhood that is The Beaton One. I really should read the comments, shouldn't I? Maybe come 3pm I will...

It's quite nice doing a guitar you know you aren't going to have to sell. Giving it away is so much more fun. The nice thing is how many previous Jooky owners want another one (or fifth in the case of The Fat Old Man). Or maybe they just think one of them will turn out right if they stick at it long enough. Well, you never know.

I mentioned the other day that I had acquired a WIP Telemaster body from the nascent Fusion Guitars, and I have to say I've been a wee bit excited at the prospect ever since. First of all, it is basically a Telecaster in a wolfish Jazzmaster's clothes, which sounds good to me, and it will 'take' a standard Tele neck, which is even better as I happen to have a nice roseyboarded one hanging around and looking for a home.

As for plans for it, well, I fancy having another go at a rusty finish. I absolutely loved The Rusting Nail One, and I have a few things I want to try in that direction. There is also another wrinkle or three I'd like to add to it, but we'll see.

Other than that, it is, as with the beautiful Lulu One, going to have a somewhat Esquire vibe - a black pickguard at the neck. Whether I go stealthy and pop something special under the hood or not, I'm not sure. Time will tell.

At the bridge it will be all Tele though, I loved the Bare Knuckle Brown Sugar Lulu boasted, so that is an option, though maybe one  of their other ones. Or then again, there are so many to try, who can say where my philandering gaze will alight.

Bridge-wise, it will be old school Fender-esque ashtray and chrome cover, with a bit of compensated twiddliness for the modern gentleman that, well, likes to be vaguely in tune, I guess.

What is intriguing me most, is what a red cedar body will sound like. It is apparently very light and soft - so should Jookify quite nicely over time - but sound wise, well, colour me curiosity-filled. You could say the same about pine, and the Squier Classic Vibe Teles - and Lulu, of course -  sound great - so eternally hopefilled am we.

But I'm having the summer off, so it is academic, innit?

La, La and laaaa

No comments: