Tuesday 26 July 2011

WIP: The Moulin Rouge One

Well, I managed to grab a few stolen moments before I hit the road again, and somehow ignored all my plans for these holidays (The Old Burny One, pedals and oh, looking after kids) and made a bit of a start on The Moulin Rouge One.

The Moulin Rouge One
Minus some war paint
I've been talking about it for ages, and have changed my mind a dozen times, so the current plan is:

1. A Variegated ziggy and zaggy Blue/Gold leaf finish to the body, and possibly the headstock if I have enough size left. (Which as it happened, I just about did.)

2. It is a Tele Custom sort of thing, of course, so it is four knobs to twirl and a 3-way switch to dick about with.

3. A rather lovely P90 soapbar will be doing sexy noise duty at the neck. This is my old fave the P90 Soapbar from a PRS SE One. It is of course a bridge pickup, but I like that bit of extra oopmh at the neck. It almost amazes me how often people 'upgrade' these pickups as soon as they get a PRS, but long may they be doing such things, like.

4. On loud rock noise duty, we find a Zebrafied Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday pickup at the bridge. This is a slightly hotter than PAF humbucker and one I've fancied trying for ages, and it was put it in this or put it into a Strat, so what the hell. First come, first to taste the glory of the lord, as it were. (No, I confuse myself at times too.)


5. The over-large sweeping (!) scratchplate is to be iron painted/rusted. I'm going to do this along the lines of The Rusting Nail One, so that it is moody and mean rather than shiny orange and carrot-topped. Actually, this I have already done apart from the lacquering, so all is good. Jesus loves me.

6. A fixed bridge (not sure of the proper name) complete with graphite saddles apparently. Not sure what they are meant to add, but curiosity dictates etc. But it is 'strung thru' which adds majiic  to your guitar playing elixir.

7. The neck is Maple/Rosewood and rather lovely. Can't remember where it came from as it happens, but it feels nice-in-palm, which is the main thing.

And that is about that. In fact it is going to be more of a Gibson type of thing than a Fender, but I guess the customs always were really .There is still a fair old way to go and I'll be living on scraps in terms of grabbing tender moments to work on it, but there we are. I think it will prove to be rather groovy.

Update before I finished writing the first bit thing:

Odd Camera Angle means
this isn't actually an Emu's Head
As I didn't finish this description, events have thingified again, and the body is now completely leafed with a few dribbles of corrosion twisted in for fair measure, and the 'plate is rustified too. Both need to be lacquered, and then we'll be pretty close. All of which means I'm in serious danger of finishing yet another guitar before I do The Blue Moon One. Which is silly, and whilst I know nobody really cares, even I'm ambivalent or it wouldn't be the case, it is kinda annoying.

I am well aware of the irony of my finishing guitars during holidays, and what that says about my work ethic the rest of the time. Thank you much verily.


No comments: