Thursday 28 July 2011

Of Slugs and Jookuleles

Well, as you may have noticed, I finally managed to finish The Blue Moon One, the problem with the wiring turning out to be a single wire that was somehow broken in the middle, though didn't seem to show up until every time I put the scratchplate and strings on the guitar. Wish I'd realised that before I replaced every other component, but there we are. Intermittent faults, don't you love them?

It has been an odd week in truth, and that was sorted at about 3am. Either way, it is my last paisley guitar, and it proved quite a tear filled moment. Although the bucket brimming with G&T might have helped that of course.

In other pastures, I was having a look at The Moulin Rouge One earlier too. That is just waiting to be lacquered, but I've left it for a few days to settle down. I was a bit confused to notice that the rusty iron scratchplate had a different finish in parts to that I remembered, and as I got closer I noticed there was a black lump in the middle. Most odd. Anyway, the lump turned out to be a dead slug and the change in the finish due to it's sluggy slime. Most yucky, but verily chaotic and random, so I'm leaving it and seeing how the lacquer reacts to the organicness of it's new finish.

(The slime I mean, I chucked the slug out - though it could have given me a Jurassic Park-esque mozzy-in-amber finish that could see future scientists filling the world with giant slugs, but I'm not sure I'd want that on my conscience.)

Before the tender attention of Mr. Slug
Post lacquer, the rest of The Moulin Rouge One is ready to go and shouldn't take long (the fame of such words) and I'm really rather looking forward to it, not least because I have some ridiculously massive capacitors to put in it which should be fun They look like silver fire extinguishers.

After that, I think I really am going to get down to The Old Burny One as I'm pretty much out of excuses not to Although, I did snap up a Vintage (as in the brand) Ukulele the other day, which is crying out for a make-over. It has already been christened a Jookulele which I quite sadly like. I'm thinking it might be nice as a Reso/CBG type of thing, but we'll have to see how it looks when it arrives. I think (if it is the one I'm thinking it is) that they have mahogany top and bottom and good necks etc. so it could be worth the effort to do something cool with, ahem, The Jookulele One. I might shove a humbucker in it, or maybe a piezo as it is probably nylon-strung, thinking about it as I type.

Either way, it sounds fun.

I am a bit bugged on one side of things. The pedal parts I ordered to keep me busy during the holibobs won't be here for another month-to-five weeks, which is annoying. I could use others, but for one-offs I want them to be exactly right, and so we wait. Thumbs-a-twiddle.

Wonder if I could market rusted iron paint as a slug repellent?

No comments: