Sunday 17 July 2011

Sunday Morning


Battered Gordo with
unlikely upside-down logo
Well, it seems as though there are maybe one or two people out there who'd fancy The Beaton One after all - though how I'll decide who gets it, I'm really not sure. I do quite fancy a sandwich, though it has to be said...I'm a tad worried that we're attracting so many, well, strange people.

Not my style at all. (Ahem)

Of course the coming week is my last before the holibobs start, so I've got four whole days to finish The Blue Moon One before I can relax into a summer of child care with a clarity of conscience, previously unknown, assuming I manage such a  feat..

Saying that, one day of the four is ear-marked to be a whirlwind tour of Bristol's guitar shops, and there is also the teensy matter of a new-to-me, but old and battered Gordon Smith guitar coming this way.

I've wanted a 'Gordo' since, ooh, the late Eighties but it has never happened, but maybe this time it will. I like the fact it is battered too, the idea of a pristine Gordo seems wrong somehow. They need to be prole-like and agricultural, to my mind. I think what attracted me most to this one is that the bridge is a bit knackered and held together with a piece of bent wire. The logo is also upside-down, and I think it has been converted from a single pickup jobbie, to a twin-tub.You can't get better than that.

But back to Jookyland and I think I said before that the plan over the summer is to finally do The Old Burny One. A labour of lurvvee, but without any pressure. Which no doubt means it won't take any time at all, and I'll be bored out of my box before you know it. It is going to have a 23 Karat gold top, with a cracleur finish to give it that aged look. I have in fact already gold leafed it once, but wasn't happy with how it turned out, so it is stripped back to square one.

I talked before about the traditional Gibson wiring loom I got from Shugz/Hugh, which looks amazing, and the fact I've finally 'decided' to use the Gibson Bill Lawrence 'Original' pickups I managed to screw up but then fix a while back. In fact, all the parts are pretty much Gibson originals themselves. Not really sure why, but I guess I've always wanted a Les Paul and this will be as close as I'm likely to get to a Custom jobbie.

I go around in circles, I know.

Still, as ever, time will tell.


4 comments:

burton said...

I like that! Got a GS Graduate Slimline..Nice! Great guitars! Cover the bugger in Paisley, or foil!

*kidding*

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

I know, I can't wait to get it...

Not sure I can bring myself to tart it up though - more likely to Sweeney it. *


*Btim throw it down some stairs and drag it behind a car...not give it a cheesy smile and an annoyingly chirpy scouse accent, and send it around your house to redecorate it.

Monquixote said...

That's a fine looking GS.

I've always wanted one but never quite got around to getting one.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

No, me neither Monquixote...hopefully I'll get it soon (long boring story, but it is floating around Bristol somewhere at the moment)