Wednesday 11 January 2012

WIP: The Gypsy One - Round 2

Now, that's better than the Jelly look...
Well, I have to say that the veneer is rather nice. I wanted it to be slightly cracked, raised and rustic-looking here and there and generally osteo-decrepit and old, and it seems that way...

Anyway, I've cut out the pickup and control cavities and if this courier ever shows, will sand in the edges.

As for the lacquer, well I'm going to give the veneer a couple of coats to seal it, and then once that is dry move on to the rusty edging, and back. Doing it this way hopefully means that the iron paint won't bleed into the veneer (it did on my little tester) and that I can build up a few layers. I want the rosewood to look battered and unstable, but be quite the opposite in reality, so that it might actually last a good few years.   

It's all quite clear in my head now and as long as I avoid using the raspberry jelly/rosewood varnish, it should be close to the initial aim.

Hopefully.

Well, we'll see.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Musically challenged interlude ~~~~~~~~~~~

And as time has moved on, the courier has come and gone with barely a word (typical man) and I have indeedy sanded the edges and generally spruced it a wee bit here and there. I widened a fortuitous split in the veneer in a couple of places and am planning to fill them with some rusty stuff, if that makes sense.

The top is now on it's second coat of lacquer and once that is dry I'll move onto the rusty ironing around the edges.

Speaking of which, I'd decided to have a rusted pickguard while I am at it, so I have started that too. And then when I remembered, I went for a rusted headstock face thing as well.

Some days there is just no stopping me, like a rattle up a hosepipe, or something, so I is.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Even Later-ish ~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, the lacquering of the veneer is done and I am going to leave it overnight. I went for quite a few coats in the end as I want to find a balance between it looking like it is decrepit and likely to fall off, without that really being the case. It should be pretty solid now anyway and I can get going on the iron edging tomorrow with a bit of luck. Along with the rustification of the pickguard and headstock.

All the remaining parts should hopefully arrive tomorrow or Friday too, so with a bit of luck we might be putting the first of the 2012 Jookies together next week

So there we are. Everything done that can be done. The Sick One off to pastures new, I spent an hour or two gurning with The Old Burny One. Today was a day, and the day was good, methinks.





A Flattened Veneer - Blimey

Ironification for the Nation


No comments: