Thursday 12 January 2012

Slap Me Baby Like Ice, or Something

They call me Stumpy...
Well, while The Gypsy One is drying, I've been trying to work out what to do with something a wee bit different.

I think I mentioned the other week that I'd picked up a sycamore, offset-ish type of guitar body and neck combo, but I never got around to telling you it arrived.

As you can see it is a bit of an oddity. I'm not sure what sort of bridge it needs, for a start, and there is a small matter of there being a lack of frets. I did think I'd use the neck as some kind of future fretting practise thingy, but the pocket is so small I don't think I'll find a different neck to fit to the body in the meantime.

And then I remembered years ago, right when I started to learn to play an open chord, a chap called Ian had bought a fretless bass, and it sounded amazing. And even though Em was as good as it got for me then (I can do Am now, of course, and generally do) I promised myself that one day I would have a fretless guitar.

Not that I was even sure if they existed or not.

Anyway, this morning I've been having a poddle about and sure enough, they do exist. Not very common, but you can get them, and so my little unfretted problem is now going to become my fretless delight. Flatwound strings and all.

All good stuff, methinks.

Still not sure what sort of bridge I'll need, probably a top mounted hardtail Strat one would work, but what the hell.

As for the rest, I'm thinking a single pickup at the bridge would be cool, a large scratchplate to cover the routings, but maybe made of something other than plastic, I don't know what, mind. But then that's the fun bit, innit?

La la laaa




Burn baby burn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PyOZhgQnvU

fretless guitar!

-Brandon

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Heh Brandon

Yes, I've often thought that Guthrie chap plays a lot like me (ahem)

Bit special, isn't he...?

Maybe I should tin foil the fretboard ;)