Monday 30 January 2012

Two Strings On My Jooky

Well, I haven't done much over the weekend, but I did give The Iceblink One a bit of a tweak or three and am feeling a bit better about it.

I've still got to sort out the nut, but I put a couple of roundwound strings on it just to try and get the bridge height right (and have a sneaky play of it, of course) and despite a good selection of buzzes, it is surprisingly cool sounding and all verily addictive.

The idea is to get the action as low as is humanly possible, and at the moment it is a wee bit flat-on-the-floor, so the only way is up.

Even so, it sounds really good, and I've even - on two strings at least - got to grips with sliding around.

It is a tad worrisome that I keep finding myself pulling bass-player gurns, but I can work on that, and hopefully edge towards the full BB King sex-face.

I've got the right flatwound strings now so once I've got the nut height done, I'll get them on and with a fairy wind and a slice of luck etc.

Well, you never know, it might turn out OK.

As for The Dust My Broom One, I'm going for a combined copper and bronze top with a rusted iron back as a contrast. I think it should look rather groovy, and I may even drizzle the copper as this is sounding like an episode of Masochistic Chef.

I've also decided to go for a different pickup in the end from another new British winder in the shape of Mojo Pickups. The one I'm going for is a relic-ised 55-64 bridge pickup, which should be good to try, methinks and a tad warmer than those used on The Gypsy One. I was half tempted to go for one of Wizard's Tweedtone ones, but maybe next time.

I like the idea of trying new makers as they all bring a little something different, and Mojo do some nice Jazzmaster pups of which good reports I have heard, and well, tis all cool.

Anyway, this week then it is about finito-ing The Iceblink One and getting a good way along with The Dust My Broom One. After that, I really haven't got a clue what I'll be doing.

Simplicity thy name is Jooky.

No comments: