Tuesday 17 January 2012

Scratchplating, Sort of...

Vinegar and Brown Paper...
Well, it was rather nice that the final bits showed up for The Gypsy One, as it meant I could finish the first Jooky of the year. I have to say I'm rather pleased with meself as I had this battered sort of image in my head and I've ended-up amazingly close to it. Which after the initial trials of the veneering, seemed unlikely.

It sounds fabulous though. The Nocaster pickups really are everything you'd hope for, not a sign of muffledness and crystal clear on the cleans. With a bit of dirtiness, verily saucy indeed.

Ooh, Paper Roses
As to what comes next, well I'm waiting, as per, before I can do anything much on The Iceblink One, other than dream. And it will be a few more days until the other Tele body/neck arrives too, so I guess I'll just have to improvise, really. Oh, and not to get into a total rut, but there is another Tele body and neck on the horizon as well.

I don't know why this happens - the doing things in clusters. It happened before with SGs and Strats before that, and a couple of offsets too. Most odd.


Maybe it is phases of the Luna that sets people of similar tastes to divest themselves of guitars/parts at the same time. Maybe this is Tele month, whereas October was SG and...well, you get the picture if you've read this far, I'm sure.

But The Iceblink One. Well, one thing I can do is sort out the finish for the body of the Iceblink and gunstock the neck, so maybe I'll do that while I'm awaiting. I've also sketched out a pickguard for it (very roughly). The idea for this is to cut it out of something, and laminate a piece of matching veneer to it. I want it to nod toward the fretboard but also merge with whatever finish the main body gets. I'm thinking corroded bronze or iron again, but I won't really know until I get to play with the ebony, I guess.

I, Scrible
As it happens I've since traced this onto transparent plastic. Cut it out and stuck it onto paper. Scanned it into Photoshop, smoothed it a wee bit, and then printed it onto more paper so I can stick it on the guitar and see how it looks as a kinda Esquire. Oddly it reminds me of the Telemaster (different outline, but you can see what I mean. A stumpy Telemaster, perhaps.)

I've also been thinking more about the pickups. I was very definite about sorting out a Jaguar pup, but then tried a Jazzmaster one at the bridge and I think that could look quite tasty, and I do love Jazzmasters very muchly so. So what is a poor boy to do?

Actually, I just realised that I can't really finish the body yet, as I will no doubt need to chop some chunks out of it for the pickup and maybe the bridge if I can't find a hardtail one to fit.

La la laa.
Wish this veneer would hurry up and arrive.
La la laaaaa



No comments: