Wednesday 18 January 2012

Like Ice In The Sun....I Fade Away

Why do I keep thinking of
Tales of the Unexpected?
Well, I'm waiting for couriers to bring me glittery things again today, so I'm poddling along on The Iceblink One once more.

First up, I managed to find a toploading, hardtailed bridge that could have been made-to-measure (assuming the measurements are right - I'll know when it arrives, I guess.), which for a change is black. I also got some black tuners too - not really sure why, but there we go..

Today though belongs to the neck.

To put the veneer on, I'm going to have to sand down the existing board and fill the slots with epoxy. I'm aiming to flatten the board (get rid of the radius) and basically take it down by the depth of the veneer. This is going to be a combination of sandpaper and a spirit level, so I figured I'd stick the sand paper to the spirit level and do it with that. (This may be inspired or insane, not quite sure yet.)

As for the scratchplate, I'm going to cut that out of plastic and then veneer it, I think, though the Jaguar-esque split control plate might end up getting a platinum leafing instead, just as a nod in the right direction. We'll see.

I am still dithering over whether to go for a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar pickup. I'll probably try both or go for the lipstick option, which may actually be the bestest of bets, as it happens.

Update:
As seems to always happen, as I'm typing this, something changes, and in this case the change-that-has-changed is that the Ebony veneer has arrived, and rather nice it looks too. What it doesn't look is big enough to do a scratchplate with as well as the neck (assuming I only have to do the neck once, of course.)

Plan B might have to be something else then, as far as the scratchplate goes. I had been toying with gold, a la that nice Mr Mascis, so I could do that I guess. I've got some 24 Karat left from the Old Burny One, I think. Not that I've decided on the body or pickups yet of course.

Anyway, time to sand the board flat.

La la laaa



No comments: