Thursday 12 January 2012

The Rust and the Rose

Well, today has started well thanks to a late night and a rather early start by my sloth-esque standards.

Yesterday, I got going on the 'Rusty Binding' of the roseywooded The Gypsy One, and it has gone better than I hoped.

When I started on this, I mentioned that I have always wanted a George Harrison inspired Rosewood Tele, but The Gypsy One was never meant to be a simple clone, as well, where is the fun in that? Duhh.

The idea of the rust is to make it look even older than the rough rosewood already does, and is a tad pragmatic too, as it means I can sand in the edges of the veneer without worrying about binding or laminating the edges. Cop out perhaps, but that is more of a bonus.

Anywaysup, as you can see I gave the edge of the guitar an iron paint, bringing this over the front so hopefully we will end up with a rustific seventies burst type of thing.

The iron was then corroded a couple of times and then fixed and lacquered. It is has pretty much dried now and just needs a few more coats, to look deevine.

I also did the pickguard and headstock, which have turned out well too.

My only concern is whether I will have left enough rosewood visible once the bridge, control plate and pickguard are on, but I think we'll be OK.

So today, more lacquering and drying and then there is the small matter of the back to rustificate...

All good stuff.

Iron painting the edges

Then they go rusty like a fox

A bit of funky lacquering


Add pickguard to flavour

No comments: