Thursday 19 January 2012

Getting Jiggy With it

Reminds me of my last visit to the dentist...
Well, things are looking up in Jookyland. The hardtail, toploading bridge thing for The Iceblink One arrived safely and all of the screw holes even match up. Wonders ceaseless never etc.

The first of my Tele body/neck combos also arrived, which again looks very nice in a butterscotchy/blondish sort of way. Not that it will stay that way for long, I expect.

The other Tele also showed-it's-face as I began typing this, and it is amazingly pretty. All flamey maple and binding on top. Very stylish. It almost seems a shame to drench it with copper or bronze or something. Maybe I should keep the binding, I don't know. Guess that one is the '70s rock monster then... Can I do neat and avoid the binding? There's a thought. On the downside, the necks a bit horrible though, so I'll have to find a different one.

As for the Iceblink, I've realised I need a few more clamps before I can glue the veneer to the fretboard. To hold it in place I'm using a nice bit of sapele I had bought for a Cigar Box Guitar neck a while back, as a sort of crutch, which I'll clamp on top of the veneer/glue/guitar neck and spread the pressure if not the lurrve..

In my highly professional trial run I realised it needed more pressure, so more clamps.

Which is cool, I don't mind.

Buying clamps makes me feel like I know what I'm doing.

As for the scratchplate, I am still in-search-of some suitable plastic to cut up, which is starting to do my head in, but as the couriers have all arrived, I can go out and buy some clamps/find some plastic stuff, I guess.

La la laa.

**** Later That Very Same Day *****

And as time has passed, I have in fact got some more clamps - I left Homebase with shoulders back, I can tell you. I even got some more wood glue as I'd accidentally left the stopper unstopped on the last bottle, knocked it over and glued all manner of junk to the table. Not good.

But every war has casualties, and mostly self-inflicted.

Though getting back to the point - I've glued the neck, glued the veneer. Introduced them and then got forcefilled and clamped the poor things under a hunk of wood.

I'm learning my lesson and not leaving them out in the freezing cold this time, so hopefully there will be little need for my patented iron technique. Though I have it in my armoury, which makes me feel warm inside and taller still.

In between such spills and bellyaches, I had a play with The Gypsy One, and have decided to swap the switch. It works, but is all a bit stiff and I can't help feel that-something-isn't-quite-right with it. I could leave it and probably would if it were mine - in fact it would probably be hot-wired and you'd need to twist a screwdriver to change pickups, but as I'm at least pretending to want to sell it, it had better be right, don't you know?

But there we are, another day of paradise lost.



No comments: