Friday 20 January 2012

Decisionmakingrustfakingbrainachingpontificating....Jooky

Dry-y-y-ing, Over You...
Well, I've finally come to a conclusion, after mucho pondering, and the conclusion I've concluded is that a Kent Armstrong Hot Lipstick pup could prove to be rather lovely at the bridge of the Iceblink One. That or maybe a nice hot Strat pickup.

Conclusions aren't always final, of course.

I had been thinking hardly long about a Jazzmaster pickup, but I've got plans for those elsewhere now I come to think about it, and the Jaguar ones worry me a tad as given this baby is going to be low on variations, I'm thinking that something a bit warmer might be in order.

Though there is always a hotter Jaguar pickup, I guess

Why didn't I think of that sooner?

Gord, I don't know.

As for the wiring, it is going to be a single volume with a single tone, all very Les Paul Junior, of course, so maybe I'll go for a Fake58 loom, just to set it off a bit, proper nice like, with ye olde worlde wiring and stuff. Unless it is a Jag pup, when I probably want 1 Meg pots...

But, while the neck is drying, and to finish the week off, I thought as I'm not going to need to chop any wood, I might as well look as though I've achieved something and get on with the body finish.

Now I've been going around in circles with this, which will probably come as a bit of a surprise, me being so decisive normally, of course. But, on one hand I think (a final?) rust job could work well with the ebony, and I'm sure it would, but then on the other I think a bit of a blingy gold leafing could be rather attractive. Maybe with the back stained dark and oiled? I don't know.

Hmmm..here we go again.

No, rusty iron it is which leaves me the option of a gilded scratchplate if the veneer one looks pants.

Which it might, or indeed, might not. I just don't know, and won't do until I get my finger out and find something to make the scratchplate out of.

Oh, I have picked the knobs. That's good isn't it? They are the bug eye ones they use on D*A*M Fuzz pedals and look really cool. I'm also going to have the jack socket on the front, like a proper offset should do.

So that's two decisions without any fuss.

See I'm not a total deadloss.

Truly I'm not.

All the time.

**** Laterish ****

So obviously, after starting to splash the iron paint around, and then drenching it with my home-brew, rustification elixir, I did the obvious thing and sorted out a Seemore Butts Quarter Pounder Jaguar pickup, which will no doubt mean that I need to engage in some wood removal, thusly messing up the lovely rust. You can't buy planning like that.

Anyway, the front has rusted and is now going thru the lacquer bath that is my garage, and may have a slightly burnt aroma stuck in the finish as I cremated some crumpets en-route. Scratch and sniff guitars, it could catch on.

By way of research, I thought it might be an idea if I actually played a fretless guitar before I try to set this one up, (actually seeing one would be a step forward of course,) so I'm going to poddle out a wee bit later and do just that. It will either depress or inspire me and no doubt have little to do with the end result anyway, but it gets me away from the crumpet fumes if nowt else.

La la laaaaa


A bit of iron

A bit of the old rustification...lavley


2 comments:

Chris said...

I love the swirls in the rust... I think given the right price I might take you up on this.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Ah, there is a way to go before I'm convinced it will be 'sellable' tbh. The neck is in the lap-o-the-gods at the mo :)