Wednesday 4 January 2012

Getting Started: The Gypsy One

Should look good
If it ever works...
Well, Day One of a new year in Jookyland (now that the bratskis are back at the coalface or up chimneys or something), and straight away I thought I'd go for the jugular and try putting a veneer onto The Gypsy One.

I know, I'm outrageous.

In fact, I have to say that I may have been getting carried away, thinking about pickups and stuff as my little trial with a bit of veneer and a block of wood didn't exactly go totally to plan.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it stuck like a barnacle, but it is the cutting of it that was a wee bit more problematic-esque as the veneer splintered whenever I got within 100 yards of it..

Now, I'm hoping it was that I need a sharper or stronger knife rather than that I've lumbered myself with some inappropriate, err, lumber, but I can't honestly say I know for sure.

My little plan to use a Gibson '57 at the neck of the Gypsy One has also gone out of the window as the body isn't routed for a 'bucker' and I'm a bit reluctant to get the chisel out and widen the gap, though I'm not really sure why. Instead I think I may put it with the Phat Cat in my Gordo. But I digress.

Sooo...need to think about pickups a wee bit, I guess.

But back to the progress:

1. I gave the body a good going over with some sandpaper, to toughen it up a bit.
Oddly my Dad did the same to me when I was a kid.

2. I got a couple of chunklets of veneer, slapped a bit of masking tape between the two and then chopped it to something approaching the size of the guitar body. I nipped out and bought a decently sharp and dangerous looking knife after a few dismally failed efforts and this proved a good move.

Anyway, this will be glued onto the front of the body. I did try cutting a piece for the back and totally screwed it up, so I'm now a tad worried that I won't have enough veneer to do both front and rear, so I'm doing the front as it will be OK with just the front done, but not so OK if just the back is veneered. I could buy more veneer, but I'd rather not.

Did that make any sense at all?

It's not just chucked together this, you know?

3. Getting a bit serious now, I splattered glue all over the veneer and over the body. Lining everything up very carefilled-like, I dropped the veneer onto the body, then slid it around a bit until it looked vaguely straight. 'There we are', I thought, and I was right. We were.

4. Obviously, the really hard bit with putting a veneer on is to apply pressure across the whole of it at the same time so that it sticks properly. The proper way is to either use a vacuum bag contraption or loads of clamps and cawls (cauls?). Obviously, I haven't got all that so I am going to use a couple of bags of rock salt that we got in case the pavement gets icy. I don't really know if this is heavy enough, but what can you do? I'll whack them on top of another Tele body which will maybe possibly just help enough to be useful.

So to summarise - we have a piece of veneer roughly the correct size.
I've smothered the back of the veneer and the front of the body with Titebond glue, then slid the veneer so that it is in place.
I've now lumped some bags of salt on top to hold it in place while it dries.

Sorted.

Tomorrow will either be a case of trimming and tidying, or trying to remove the veneer and starting again.

La la laaaaa

This is gonna be sooo purrttyy

Nothing works first time, right?


Loins-all-a-gird
Getting Gluey


Using another body to hold it in place

No comments: