Friday 6 January 2012

Everything is Lovely

Well, after yesterday's disaster with my slum-mud covered veneer, I've decided that I need to end the week on a high to avoid all manner of mental bobulisms, and so today, with parts in hand I'm going to finish off the resurrection of The Gordo.

Where we left it was beautifully battered with a gunstock treated oil, wax and walnut stained look that looks rather lovely, if you like a well battered gunstock, I err, guess.

Anyway, I've got some new Gotoh tuners with tulip ends (so they aren't too heavy), and have put some new posts at the bridge. I did get a Wilkinson tailpiece for sooper yet dooperish intonational joy, but to be honest I liked the battered original better so have stuck with it.

It is however, a complete change on the pickup front. At the neck I've gone for a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90, and at the bridge a Gibson '57 Classic, so basically it will have PAF and P90 tones, which are pretty groovy in my hoos. Other than that it is all new CTS pots, Switchcraft Jack and switch, a ridiculously enormous Mojotone capacitor, cloth covered wire and the rest. I've not gone for coil taps as was originally in the Gordo as basically the pickups aren't four-wired. Other than that I'll replace the strap pins with some jumbo ones when they arrive, and there we are.

And, after a bit of screwing and soldering, here it be....

I have to say I'm really rather pleased with it. The headstock is solid after I glued the cracks, and stained them obvious for goodly measurement, and the Phat Cat is divine. I'll have to admit not as biting as the Catswhisker P90 I've put in the Sick One (which I've also been preparing for it's new owner today - Matt it sounds cool), but pretty good. I think the Catswhisker one just feels bigger, but there we are. I'm not disappointed by it. As for the Gibson '57, that is sweet. Proper PAF sounds, just like everybody says. Even in this thinnest-of-mahogany bodied wonder it proper sounds, well, lovely.

So there we are, two lovely, lovely guitars I got to play today.

The week wasn't sooo very bad, now, was it?

Now that feels better.

Bloody veneers.






No comments: