Wednesday 25 January 2012

Taking the gloss off of thingies

Well, I have to admit that I wasn't particularly happy with the way The Iceblink One was looking.

I couldn't put my finger on it for a while, but it just jarred. I was thinking that maybe the veneer on the scratchplate was too much and that maybe a plain black one would be better, and the same for the fretboard too, in truth.

Finally, I think it dawned on me that it wasn't the veneer as such, more that it was uber shiny glossy, and looking like Fablon.

 I've never been a shiny glossy kinda geezer, and it didn't feel right.

So, figuring that I'll no doubt change it soon anyway, I decided to sand back the varnish, and see if I could flatten the fault in the 'board. I wanted the scratchplate to be more wood-like, and the fretboard to have a soft sheen, rather than a plastic glare.

And after a load of different grades of paper and blood blisters, it finally got to look like wood again, and amazingly the 'board was pretty bloomin' smooth. Couldn't quite believe my luck. You can still see the mark, but I'm not exactly known for my despair over such things, so that is cool with me.

I never get that far down the neck anyway ;).

I'm pretty chuffed then as I've always thought that a guitar needs personality, and as the rest of the guitar has been battered with love, it is hard to get overly worried about a visual flaw in the old ebony. In fact I've sort of highlighted it with a bit of stain.

Back to flaunting the imperfections, really.

Anyway, I did the same to the pickguards (though they will never be flat, I made sure of that) and that looks a whole lot better too. It feels like wood again and the smell is lovely.

While I was on a lucky streak, I thought I'd push it a bit and stain them (fully expecting them to curl up and laugh in my face,) and somehow that has worked OK too.

(Must buy a lottery ticket.)

Not quite believing it was happening to one such as meself, next I decided in-for-a-penny, and went for the full monty, and oiled everything that wasn't nailed down.

It was either going to be sink or swim, but the neck feels a 110% better already, and I'm starting to think that maybe I can pull the bacon out of the fire after all. (OK, I know it is tempting fate to write that, but there we are.)

Cool, don't think I missed any opportunities for dialling a cliche there.

So, this morning the oil has dried, and I've got cracking with the stock conditioner and gun wax bobbins, and it looks and feels a million and three times better already.

I had sanded, stained and oiled the back of the neck and the headstock too, well most of it. I quite liked the lighter stripe at the edge of the fretboard, so I kept that. I also left the side markers intact...which solves one "opportunity". I'll need to do a bit more work on the back of the neck, but that is fine.

I have to say, even as it stands now I am a load happier with it, and if I do end up needing to replace the veneers, at least I'll know what to do first time, next time.

I'm starting to dare to dream of a teeny wee hope that I won't have to replace them though as it feels beautiful as it stands, but I guess the test will be once there are some strings on the thing, and I can see how it holds-up.

Other than that, the tuners are on, and my baby has a name on her forehead, which always makes things real. Hopefully the Jaguar pickup will arrive today or tomorrow and we'll be somewhere closer-er.

Someone pointed out yesterday that maybe it isn't good PR for me to show you what goes wrong quite so publicly, but I figure if I'm going to bore people silly writing about this as-it-happens, it is more 'for real' if it is honest -  it should be warts and all.

It's half of the trip, after all.

PR?
Me?
As if...

La la laaa




No comments: