Tuesday 3 January 2012

Scraping Sleepy Dust Out Me Eyes...

A Rosewood Tele
Seen Earlier Today
Well, all of that being nice to each other bobbins is good and over for another year, the kids are back at school again tomorrow, so I can get up and get back to the important job in hand and start to actually do something Jookyish at last.

Not that I'm selfish.

So where were we?

Well, I'm still waiting for the tuners and pins for the Gordo, but have given it a few more polishes with some gun stock polish gubbins, and I have to admit it is probably as good as it is ever likely to get. I'll show you it again once it is all done, no doubt. But it still looks like it has been in a minor war, which is nice, but at least it looks like it was patched-up in a field hospital before returning to the fray.

As for Jooky-stuff-proper, well top of the shop is to have a go at the veneering of The Gypsy One.

*gulp*

This could of course be doomed to failure, but I'll never know unless I try and despite not having the right equipment, I'm taking my usual low-tech approach and crissing my fongers.

I was thinking of developing a Plan B for when/if the veneering proves to be beyond me, but remembered being told once that if you fail to plan you are planning to fail.

Which was quite 'Tony Pullis', it has to be said. Or maybe Dell Boy Trotter, though much the same thing, really.

Then I thought that actually having a Plan B meant I was planning to fail (even if it was just in case I fail) so then I thought that maybe not planning to fail would be better as that would mean that failing to plan was a positive after all, and I should go with the status quo.

So not having a Plan B was a positive thing to do and not just me being slack.

So whatever you want really.

I'll just see what happens and make it up as I go along, as per..

Which is bound to work first time, innit?

Normally at this point I'd list all the other projects I won't actually be doing anything about before Easter, but in my new one-at-a-time-and-focus-damn-you approach to all things Jooky, I'm not going to. Hopefully I'll confuse myself less that way.

But the Gypsy One, well I've gone for some lovely Gotoh tuners, a Lollar bridge pickup and a rather splendid Gibson '57 humbucker at the neck, which I think fit my roseywood dream Tele more. All a bit Graham Coxon really, but there we are.

Oh, and the bridge will be standard brass saddled as you'd expect.

I'm still in two minds about the neck - I have a maple 'boarded one, but wonder whether a rosewood one would be a better bet. We'll see when I finally attach it, I guess.

Assuming I ever get that far.

Being a New Year, I was thinking that this is a good time to unveil all manner of clever changes to the guitars, the way they are made, how I source things and to introduce my new team to take Jooky forward, but as none of those things have happened or are likely too, well, maybe another time, eh?

Things will go on in the same old familiar hap-hazard-ness, and it is still just li'l ol' me..

So there we are, clarity thy name is Jooky.
Here we go again

2 comments:

Dickinstein said...

Dude ,If you can make a guitar thats half as pretty as the Rosewood tele in the photo, your on to a winner :-)

Happy New Year to you anyway mate, and your family.

The crowley one is playing fine, Its being used in a Dropped C tuned band im in at the moment , but I gotta put some heavy strings on it as 9's aint doing so well on it. Come to think about it, there maybe a video shoot for it to feature in soon . I'll fill you as I know more....

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

On current form I might be being a tad opto-mystic on the veneer - it is splintering like kindling everytime I try to cut it, but there we are.

Glad the Crowley one is hanging in there...cool :)