Sunday 19 August 2012

Shape Sorting Man

Well, one of the things I've always liked about doing the Jooky thing is that it gives me a chance to make bobbins that are a little off-key, something I've always associated with guitars, and generally to mess with the established order of things. I don't claim any originality for this, clearly.

Alongside that of course is the whole re-use/junk modelling thing, and at times it is hard to balance the arty bit with it. It would be a lot easier to just buy a Fender Strat or Tele and do strange things with the finish than it is to source all the parts separately. And it would no doubt be more lucrative, and make for an easier 'sell', but I never set out to be a spray-gun-toting refinisher and I can safely say that there is little evidence that I'm in it for the money.

But I think perhaps it is time to spread my wings a wee bit as the quality of the guitars has improved over time - I know what I want a lot better than I used to, and Marc at Mojo making wiring looms plugs something I was struggling to do, shaky mitts and all, and the fact that he doesn't freak when I ask him to make some weird concoction of a pickup, is better still. So it is all good.

But still I've been tied to the shapes other people have made and whether the bodies are second-hand or luthier chopped (as a lot have been recently) they are still based on Strats, Teles, Jazzmasters and the rest. However interesting they may be.

All of which is why I'm intent on making my own bodies and to try and do a few of my own designs. I've been saying it since I started of course, but the difference is that I think I need to now, if that makes sense. It is going to get stale otherwise and there is nowt worse that a stale idea.

Of course the downside is that us guitarists are a pretty conservative lot - a lot of little c's, I've heard it said -  if it ain't a butterscotch Tele it ain't worth the time of day, but I guess I have to think that somebody might want what I do.

Even if it takes a bit longer for them to move on.

That is the daft thing, I get really stressed if I have too many Jookies around the place and I get upset if nobody buys one within the month it is made, which when you think about it is pretty silly as I get to play them all the time they are here, and mourn them as soon as they have left-the-building

I've never really believed in art-for-arts-sake, though I say it often enough. There has to be a reason in there somewhere, and the only one that counts with a guitar is that it is played and while looking good and cool, makes you want to play it with (hopefully) some sounds that inspire you to stretch yourself a different way. Well, a boy can hope..

As for selling them, well, I have to do that to pay for the next and I've got no hang ups about that. Plus, I only have to get lucky once with my guitars (if quoting the IRA isn't a little odd), and let's face it, I've only ever made them for me, but for other people to play. And that's pretty cool in itself if I can continue to get away with it.

So in summary, I need to change things to keep it fresh, but I like it just the it is. But safe is sooo boring, I can't see the point.

Yours, maudlin-deep of Portishead

La la laaaaa

No comments: