Thursday 10 May 2012

WIP: The Glory B One

Well, I did the acid thing on The Glory B One and have gone for a bit of an acid burst - which sounds like an Opal Fruit, but probably wouldn't make your mouth water in a good way.

What I wanted was to do a copper top, but then bronze and corrode it around the edges. Partly to give an impression of creeping desolation and corruption as felt by the Western spirit as normal social boundaries disintegrate and social norms become disregarded as antiquities and curios, but mainly because I wondered what it would look like.

And I like it. I'm not decided on the scratchplate yet - I'm wondering whether plain black is the best bet - though I think perhaps I might bronze that too. I would have already if I had gotten around to getting it, but I haven't. It'll be a single pickup either way.

As for the neck, well I've copperified the headstock, and given it a name and number. No rank, that would be silly..

The rest of the bits should also be here in the next day or so, so it is kinda happening quite neatly for once.

As for The Fabulous One, I never got to return to my chopping yesterday, and unless the courier comes early I probably won't today either I am actually pretty much done on the wood bit, just a bit more and we're quids in. But many a slip between alcopop bottle and lip, .so still plenty of time to screw it up.

And while I'm rounding-up, the Sonex, I took that apart earlier on as the switch was a bit weird, and replaced that with a new one. I must admit I'm not sure about the pickups - no idea what they are even - as they get a bit mushy.

I think I've been spoiled by all these handwound, air-filled pickups I've been using lately. I'll have a think about them and save my pennies.

Oh, I wasn't going mad about the mini-switch not doing much, as it isn't connected to anything at all. The rest of the wiring is lovely though - a nice surprise - all good pots and PIO caps and all that.

Still, it all works fine now and I'm rather chuffed with it. Might have to change the knobs though, I really loathe speed knobs.

La la laaa





2 comments:

Chris Gorman said...

Looking twisted, dude. I assume Glory Bone is slang for something down Bristol way. In fact, Portishead had a song called Glory Box, now I think about it, and they're clearly from your manor.

At this point, I realise I have perhaps had an epiphany, and need say no more, lest I embarrass myself further in front of your friends.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Ah, you are quite right, though I hadn't noticed it read 'Bone'. I should have called it The Glory Boner, which is just enough to start your own religious cult, of course; my one true ambition.

Still waiting for my invite to audition for Gorman *sigh*