Wednesday 9 May 2012

All Tattered and Torn

Well, it sort of went well yesterday, though courier hell continues and a no show means I'm awaiting again for someone to take my Kooky away, which is annoying. I think I must live in a black hole or something.

On the plus side, I got further along with The Fabulous and Glory B Ones, which should get further still today with a bit of luck. The pickup-with-no-name is likely to be wound todayish, so I'd better get my act together on that.

Speaking of that winding chap, I think I said the P90 and loom for my PRS SE One arrived from Marc-at-Mojo yesterday, which will be good and handy when the guitar gets here.

And of course, I went to drizzly Swindon yesterday evening to lurk in a train station and swap The Tatty Adonis One for the Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe you can see in the fotos...

And very nice it is too. The neck has been sanded back and feels great, and I think it has probably been refinished at some point - certainly the neck if not the body, but it is very much a 'players' guitar (insert obvious joke here) so it doesn't matter too much.

The pickups too aren't original unless somebody put covers on them, which seems unlikely and there is a micro switch in there for good measure, which might be a coil-split or maybe even err, something else. Not sure it did too much at all, tbh, but I was playing quite tip-toe-quietly, so maybe I missed something dramatic.

I've come to the conclusion I don't really like coil taps much, I think the only time I have been truly impressed was on The Wicked One where it was more of a boost if anything. But I digress..

All-in-all, first impressions of the Sonex are pretty good, and I am well pleased. I'll give it a proper try out later and have a peep under the hood and all that

And no, I still haven't decided what to do with it, though I love the colour - a well aged white - and it is tidy for, what? Thirty-one-years-old. Tidier than I was back then anyway.

So all-in-all a good deal, though I already miss the Tatty and now need to find an excuse to get another Mojo Wide Ranger. I could be radical and get a telecaster, I guess...

But today, on with the chopping and copperification, while waiting for the courier...

Every day is the dame

La la laa





No comments: