Tuesday 15 May 2012

Not So Nice Anymore

Well, the rest of the parts never showed-up for The Glory Box One, so I distracted myself further with the PRS SE One I was talking about.

Now before I explain further, you play guitar, right?

I can't imagine anybody reads this drivel that doesn't.

Good.

Now will you try something for me?

Nothing arduous, I promise.

Yes?

Cool.

So anyway, get your favourite guitar and your favourite amp.

Take the amp and put it into a cupboard or the boot of your car or something.

Cover it with quilts, coats, rags and small children if you have any.

Plug a lead into the amp and put the other end in the guitar.

You need a long lead, I should have mentioned that.

And an extension lead if you can't park outside your house.

Shut the door/car lid and walk away as far as you can from the amp. As long as your lead will allow.

Now, if your guitar has a tone knob turn it all the way down to the 'muffled mud' setting you normally avoid.

Play the guitar for five minutes and seventeen seconds.

Remember the sound.

Now, go back to the cupboard, remove all the coats, rags, children.

Turn the tone back up to 'Full' on your guitar.

Shut the cupboard door behind you, or sit on top of the amp if it is in your car.

Play the guitar for five minutes and seventeen seconds.

Remember that sound.

Now, I didn't do that today, but if I had that would have been quite close to the difference replacing the stock PRS P90 in my wee guitar with a nice new one from that Mojo Pickups chap Marc, made when I did it earlier.

The first time I hit a chord and bent some string, it gave me eczema on my face.

It is raw and beautiful.

The pickup sound, I mean, not my mush.

I don't think I can explain it better than that.

La la laaaa and a triiinnng.

No comments: