Tuesday 15 May 2012

Nice, but well, Nice.

PRS SE One: In Need of a bit of Mojo methinketh
Well, yesterday was a bit of a strange day all-in-all. Had to be out and about, so I managed to miss the arrival of the PRS SE One and that was pretty much it.

Haven't really had a good chance to try it out yet - the One, I mean - but I'm not entirely convinced. The odd thing is that the pickup is a lot more gentile and polite than I ever remember it being when I've used such pickups before, transplanted into other guitars, so I'm a tad underwhelmed at the moment. Playing it louder always helps, mind, so I'll do that in a wee bit and see.

As for the guitar generally, it is very nicely put together. Slightly battered (which I knew about) and the neck is a good handful, but maybe it is because I've been playing the 30-year-old Sonex and the 20-year-old LP Studio, but it seems a little personality-light right now.

I'll give it a blast anyway and then maybe pop the Mojo loom and P90 in and see how it is then. I don't generally give things much of a chance, but maybe I should.

Don't get me wrong, it looks nice (apart from the headstock) and plays nicely, but nice isn't really what I was looking for. More your face-ripping type of thing. I was hoping for something to fill my eternal Les Paul Junior void, but...

As for Jookidom, well, the Mojotron arrived along with yet another wiring loom from Marcy-boy and I can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for the other bits for The Glory B One, but hopefully they will arrive today. Scratchplates and tuners, they really do matter. I'll need to be-copper the scratchplate before I can put it together proper, but it should be sorted this week, methinketh.

Other than that I'm planning on finishing the woodwork for The Fabulous One and that is it. Nowt else to get in the way, just that.

It has gone on too long already so I need to finito it, or at least the dangerous part or I won't be able to look at meself in the mirror. Well, if I had a mirror.

Off to give the PRS a blast, then we'll see...


~~~ Later On Like ~~~

Well, I've given the PRS a blast, and I like the neck. Not sure about the finish, and am going to put the Mojo P90 and wiring in, and see if that gives it a bit more organicness and bite, as it is far too polite...

My natural instinct is not to like a PRS on principle - but the One on paper should be my kinda guitar, so I have this horrible dilemma - like finding out you prefer the Tories' policies compared to Labour and despite every fibre in your body screaming that you-can't-do-it, you feel like you have to at least think about it.

Though saying that, the outcome is no doubt predictable anyway...




La la laaa.

No comments: