Tuesday 1 May 2012

Not Man Enough For My Lippy

Well, I was rather pleased with the simplistic lines of The Kooky One. The next couple of days will be lacquertriffically endowed in that department, but hopefully not too much time after that and we'll be back in offset paisley nirvana.

As for the rest, as you can no doubt see - having a discerning peeper, and all - I've coppered the scratchplate and then mottled it with some bronze before splishy-sploshing a bit of the house acid around for some lovely bluey corrosion. The headstock face is plain old unadulterated copper, just for a change like. Sometimes it is the show of understatedness that makes all the difference.

And today, I managed to lacquer the body - though a bit more to do - and I had convinced myself that wiring the 'plate up was a good idea.

Until I tried and noticed that I'd given Marc at Mojo some duff information, and the wire to the switch isn't long enough.

No big deal, I can sort that.

And then that the holes for the pots weren't big enough.
Sorted that out quick smart too with my handraulic reamer..

And then finally that the lippy pickups were too big as I had snaffled the wrong ones.

*sigh*

Now, I know I should probably make the holes bigger, but the copperisation is done and de-dustificated, and I basically didn't want to. So I need to find some replacements for those.

Heh ho.

Despite the teensy glitches, I'm all verysomely excited about this one, gaudy paisley plus lots of chrome being the order of the day, a couple of lipstick pickups, a Gretsch 'bucker and Gretsch knobs to complete the visuals. Mojo wiring to make it sound great and err, work first time.

Sometimes you need to get back to basics, know what I mean?

Fun, fun and a touch of fun.

As for other things, The Ronin One is still niggling me, it is in tune, intonated, I've greased the tuners and they are now spot on, but there is just something, and I don't quite know what, that is bugging me. I know I still need to change the blend pot, but it isn't that.

I don't know, it just doesn't feel right somehow. Most annoying. I'll just have to keep on playing it and see if I can suss it. Maybe I'll go for a straight set of strings in case it is that (I put a hybrid set on with heavier wound strings), but I'm not sure it is that at all as I did the same with The Tatty Adonis One and that feels fine.

Sometimes, this guitar cobbling bobbins just does my head in.

What else, oh I snaffled a Floyd Rosed double buckered Super Strat sort of thing, which will hopefully show up this week. All a bit rock, but if it turns out to be OK, I might well have a home for it...

Heh P. ?

La la laaa

No comments: