Friday 18 May 2012

Introducing: The Glory B One

Well, I'm kinda happy to introduce you to a new member of the Jooky cabal, The Glory B One.

From the top, it is a lightweight alder bodied Strat, with a nice maple/rosewood neck. Tuners are pre-aged Wilkinsons which work a treat and the body has luxuriated in a bright and summer breezy (makes me feel, err, finey) corroded copper finish. And man that copper sulphate is lush. Sulphuric acid, can't beat it.

Under the plate is a lovely Mojo Pickups wiring loom replete with CTS pots, cloth smothered wire and a PIO capacitor the size of a swiss roll. (Maybe not quite the size of a swiss roll, but it is big.)

Most interesting of all though is the pickup I sort of challenged Marc at Mojo into making, and at the moment it is a complete one-off, but I have no doubt the boy has a big future and will be rolling a few more (Winding? I forget the technical chat).

This looks like a radiator from space, but sounds gorgeous. It's hard to nail the sound in words, not that I won't try, but there is definitely a bit of a TV Jones/Gretsch twang about it, but with maybe a touch more soul and tears. If I'm going to try the Book of Guitar Reviewer Cliche's I'd trot out articulate and airy and resonant, and talk about even with high gain and fuzz there being plenty of separation, but enough to say in my inarticulate way, it just sounds Gah. The tone control, for once, becomes your best friend as it varies between classic single tone cleans and more of a gritty oomph.

Oddly, in my head I find myself comparing it to Mojo's Wide Ranger, and this would make a lovely bridge to a Wide Range neck as there is a cross over, but not enough to confuse.. I'd love to hear a middle-position-mix 'tween the two, maybe I will on another one. Hmmm..

Given everything I've said, I'm loving it with bluesy-ness as it has something about it that just sings and wails. That P90 breaking-up-sound you just keep hitting.

So there we are, I'm rather pleased I asked now, as the pickup maketh the guitar.

(Not sure I'm getting this the right way around, somehow)

La la laa








No comments: