Saturday 24 November 2012

Wishing I was Loaded: JXG Junior On The Block

Well, I've had a bit of a break from Jookiness for a couple of days, but one thing I can't quite get out of my head at the moment is a quite beautiful and amazing guitar that has been made from a lump or two of hundred year old mahogany by John at JXG guitars.

I've mentioned John's work before - not least because I bought Old Honey off him, which started life as one of Gibson's low rent 50s Studio Tributes, and by the time John had finished with it became a guitar that I really can't ever imagine being without - and for me that is saying a lot - and somewhat unlikely at best.

What John does on his own guitars is of course far in excess of the pimping Honey got, and the Junior he has built is the kind of thing the Gibson Custom Shop should be making, as old wood apart - they have no chance of getting that sort of thing - the attention to detail is crazy good.

And John is selling this for under 2 grand at the moment, and I can't afford it which is why I can't sleep at night. That is real craftsmanship and attention to detail for the price of a mass produced modern equivalent. Crazy cheap by any measure.

I hope John doesn't mind my talking about this, and nicking his fotos, but when I grow up, I want to make guitars like JXG do. Just hope I live long enough to grow that much.

Get this for a spec -

1 piece one hundred year old Honduras Mahogany body
1 piece one hundred year old Honduras Mahogany neck, quartersawn and cut from the same piece of timber as the body. Profile is a 'realistic' late 50's profile - about 23mm at the first fret with a rounded profile and sloped shoulders - feels more comfortable than Custom Shop 59 profiles with their square shoulders
Old growth Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard
Faber wraptail and locking studs, Tonepros Kluson tuners, vintage taper Bare Knuckle/CTS pots, paper in oil cap
Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup
All nitro finish, aged and weather checked
Has the big G on the headstock
includes Hiscox case






Anyway, if you fancy putting me out of my misery, you can contact John Here and he is a top chap who makes amazing guitars and if you buy it and don't like it, I'll swap you for one of my Jookies.

Can't say fairer than that.

End of

La la laaa


No comments: