Saturday 15 December 2012

Going For Gold Like Scooby Snax, Yeah

Well, all is chaos at the moment in the little kingdom of Jook, with baubles all over the place and more glitter on show than at a convention of 1970s peedos, but will we let such shenanigans get to us and cause us to hide under the stairs, stroking korina with some wire wool? Not a chance.

And excuse the excitement, but there is something else that is golden and shiny on my mind, as after many months of searching, I heard from Marc at Mojo Pickups yesterday, that he is finally in a position to make some authentic repro Gold Foil pickups. I know he has wanted to do these for ages so it is really cool news.

Now these originally appeared in the coolest of vintage cool guitars, things like Harmonys and Silvertones and Mr Ry Cooder's own tone owes them plenty, so they are well worth checking out methinks. In fact, it is no big surprise that I can't wait to give them a try, but have the slight issue that I haven't got a guitar to put them into.

Obviously, I ordered the first set he makes (ahem) without considering that flaw in the plan.

Not that that is too much of an issue as for quite an eon of an aon of a while I've fancied making meself something along the lines of a Mosrite in all it's twangy off-key-looking-ness.

Which is something I've wanted for years (a Mosrite, I mean) but never quite got the chance/excuse/energy, and the copies I've tried haven't really hit the spot.

So I'm going to get Jezz of Woodroffe Guitars to make me a nice semi acousticalified body of the right shape, plonk an incongruous big headed Strat neck on it and see where that gets us.

As you may have noticed, a lot of the new guitars seem to be classic old shapes that have been Jookificated, and this is something that I think will continue for a while as it is fun, though I have a couple of ideas of my own that I really must get sorted. Groovy indeed.

So, back to the future, coming soon to an obsessive near me, The Scooby Doo One, tis gonna be groovy.

La la laaa

2 comments:

Philip said...

I'm excited about getting hold of these too! One nice thing is that they're flat enough to mount on top of the guitar with no rout. I think they'd look great on a cabronita-style telecaster.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Yep - I was talking to Marc and he finally has got hold of all the pieces for them, but I'm not ssure how many he'll be making. Got my order in early mind ;o)